Alpha Sigma Alpha Joins the Greek Ranks on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

Seventy-three University of New Haven women officially became members of the newest sorority on campus, Alpha Sigma Alpha, on Sept. 17 after a five day recruitment period.

Alpha Sigma Alpha is a National Panhellenic social sorority that was founded on Nov. 15, 1901 in Farmville, Virginia. Their mission is to “strive to develop women of poise and purpose; and assist members in fostering lifetime friendships.”

Aubrey Winn, one of Alpha Sigma Alpha’s national leadership consultants, came to the university at the beginning of the semester to recruit new members for the UNH chapter.  Leadership consultants travel from campus to campus and provide leadership training and educational programming to Alpha Sigma Alpha collegiate women, according to the Alpha Sigma Alpha official website.

“I’ve been training new members, giving new member education sessions,” said Winn. “I’m a resource for members as they start their journey with Alpha Sigma Alpha.”

“I joined ASA because I really liked what they stood for,” said senior Gabriella Pericone. “I really liked their philanthropies and liked that they offered a lot of community service opportunities.”

Building a new chapter can be a challenging thing. Pericone said that she feels one of their biggest challenges is going to be trying to break through the misconceptions of their organization on campus.

“My favorite part of Alpha Sigma Alpha is getting to know all of my 72 new sisters,” said senior Teri Tozzi. “I still don’t know most of them but its so exciting to meet new people.”

Elissa is a 21-year-old college student studying journalism in New Haven, Connecticut. Hailing from Long Island, she doesn’t correct anyone who assumes she’s from the city, just like she doesn’t correct anyone who assumes she’s a student at Yale. In addition to being one of the Co-Founders and Campus Correspondents for Her Campus New Haven, she is also Editor-in-Chief of UNH's university newspaper. Besides drinking too much coffee and daydreaming about traveling the world, she spends most of her time writing, reading and complaining about the weather. Follow her at @elissasanci