This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

On April 7, 1984 the Zealous Xi Omicron chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha, Incorporated was founded as an organization serving the New Haven area. Following the mission of Alpha Kappa Alpha, the Xi Omicron chapter was created to “cultivate and encourage high scholastic and ethical standards, to promote unity and friendship among college women.” In the spring of 2016, twenty women crossed, with five of them coming from the UNH community.

One of these women: Keshawna Alderman, is a member of the class of 2017, and from Harlem, New York. She is majoring in Criminal Justice with a minor in Music Industry. Actively involved on campus, Keshawna is the Director of Public Relations for NAACP, a leadership intern, Welcome Wagon Captain, USGA senator, and an active Black Student Union member.

Keshawna was drawn to this organization because of the history behind it being the “phirst and phinest” black sorority. She further explains that she admires that Alpha Kappa Alpha, incorporated was the first organization designed to empower and uplift black women, who were incredibly discriminated against during the time of the organization’s establishment in 1908.

Keshawn Alderman (left), Tamara Torres (right)

Keshawna along with her line sister Tamara Torres, plans on making her organization present on the UNH campus by cosponsoring events with UNH organizations that they are executive boards member of: NAACP and BSU.

So look out for the new AKAs on campus!

Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!