5 Must-Haves For Cruelty-Free Makeup Beginners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

You’re aware of how unnecessarily cruel animal testing is, and you want to put your foot down and make a change. But, where do you begin?

With all the beauty brands currently available on the market, transitioning to cruelty-free makeup can be confusing and overwhelming. It’s important to start small and recognize it as a process. Don’t feel as if you have to replace all your products at once—do it as you use them up!

When you’re ready to restock on your makeup bag essentials, check out five of my favorite cruelty-free makeup products that are a part of my daily routine:

Get subtle, everyday eyes or achieve a glamorous look with the E.L.F. Mad for Matte eyeshadow palette, featuring 10 neutral shades. The satin mattes are super pigmented, allowing you to blend well with no patchiness for all-day wear. Although the palette is ideal for shading, highlighting, and defining your eyes, it can also be used as a liner, on the lid, and in the crease—it’s a great staple for your eyeshadow collection. (Not to mention it’s only $12 and looks even better with a little primer!) I love using the warm mauve as a base!

Kat Von D’s Tattoo Liner is the ultimate liquid eyeliner. The brush-tip is highly pigmented with a 24-hour-wear formula that’s both waterproof and transfer-resistant—meaning if you have shaky hands, then this is your new best friend. It’s the perfect eyeliner for both makeup newbies and beauty pros alike because the teeny-tiny, flexible bristles glides across your eyelids in silky, smooth strokes. Get ready for long days and sleepless nights in either Trooper (jet-black) or Mad Max Brown (rich chocolate).

Too Faced’s Better Than Sex mascara is the only mascara I have ever tried that is both clump-free and long-lasting. With just one application, your lashes will be full, defined, and stretched to unbelievable lengths. If you give them another coat, your lashes will have major volume, making them look extra thick and luscious. It’s great because you can choose between a natural look or something a little more dramatic!

You might feel a little guilty putting this Milani Rose Powder Blush on because it’s absolutely gorgeous in the compact, but it’s even prettier on your cheeks. It complements every skin tone with its soft, blendable natural-finish in either a glowing matte or a pixelated shimmer. I’d recommend Romantic Rose—it’s looks just as great in the fall/winter months as it does in the spring/summer!

NYX Cosmetics Soft Matte Lip Creams is the perfect cross between a lipstick and a gloss. The sweetly scented, lustrous formula applies like silk and sets to a sensual matte finish. It’s surprisingly durable and lightweight, and its unique texture adds the perfect final touch to any look. I keep the color Stockholm in my purse at all times!

Hello. I’m Becky! I’m a sophomore from Orange, Connecticut, studying General Psychology with minors in Sociology and Communication. Aside from writing for Her Campus, I’m a member of the Psychology Club and a volunteer for Love Your Melon. With my love for helping others, I hope to become either a counseling psychologist or an animal-assisted psychotherapist. In the meantime, you can find me crying over The Office, designing my future tiny house, looking at pictures of dogs, or daydreaming about volunteering at the Elephant Nature Park in Thailand.
Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!