Lindsay Thompson-Neon Sign Where You Need To Be Miami Bar Inspiration
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus
Career > Work

Your Life Experiences Matter More Than You Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

“ Identity capital is our stock of personal assets. It is the repertoire of individual resources that we assemble. It is how we add value to who we are, and it is what we have to show for how we have spent our time. Identity capital is how we build ourselves- bit by bit, over time.”

Meg Jay The Defining Decade

In a society where we are continually reminded of what success looks like, it is easy to overlook the value of developing a distinct personality. This is where the notion of “Identity Capital” enters the picture: the sum of our experiences, abilities, and knowledge that identify us and add value to our identity. This concept, coined by Meg Jay in her book, “The Defining Decade,” piques the interest of many young adults navigating life and trying to find their place in the world. The key is to recognize that your worth does not diminish because someone cannot recognize it. The sky’s the limit when we learn to accept ourselves and progress for our benefit.

What is Identity Capital?

Inaction results from frequent introspection that leads to doubting one’s profession, questioning their character, and pondering their purpose. Rather than striving to find answers to these questions, taking one step towards developing new talents, contributing to the community, or exploring unexpected hobbies or destinations is a more practical strategy. The practice expands one’s understanding, knowledge, and social life, unveiling aspects of oneself that may have remained hidden had you not taken the initial step. 

Consider the people who enter a room and command attention with ease. Their confidence is polished and enticing, instilling a desire to achieve that success. Because we all have varied definitions of success, this person might appear differently to you, yet the very idea calls someone to mind. There is an air of knowledge, a life lived, or fascinating attributes that make them someone you want to meet, learn from, and get to know. Those who have amassed identity capital understand their value and are devoted to their journey. They distinguish themselves not through academic achievements or degrees, but by the unique collection of abilities and experiences they bring to the table. One of the most fundamental components of building identity capital is experiencing life to the fullest, which involves taking risks, pursuing one’s ambitions, and forcing yourself out of your comfort zone to experience everything that life offers.

Success, bossbabe.Inc

How to Build Identity Capital

All you need to expand your identity capital is the confidence to take the first step and pursue a new venture. As the journey begins, there are affordable and practical prospects, and those pathways will uncover new opportunities that will help you achieve an enriching existence.

• Start by exploring hobbies and passions. The process may involve taking up an activity you’ve always wanted to try, learning a new language, enrolling in a dance class, or rediscovering activities you enjoyed as a child. You will encounter diverse individuals and perspectives while developing various abilities.
  • Volunteering is one of the most rewarding social experiences that we must take advantage of. The approach enables you to pursue projects that benefit the community rather than oneself. We reconnect with the most fundamental components of our existence when we withdraw from the overarching notion of our purpose. The interactions and influence we have on our community to help others is an endless cycle of growth in which real-world issues, relationships with others, and ourselves are reevaluated to have greater value. These experiences benefit personal and professional conditions as they indicate an individual’s willingness to embrace obstacles and expand their talents.
  • Your dedication to your career is determined by your discipline and motivation to succeed. Develop capital by seeking prospects for professional advancement. Attend conferences, workshops, and networking events in your field of interest to expand your network, knowledge, and experience and acquire the ideal career. Consider enrolling in an online course or obtaining a certification in an area of expertise to continue learning and developing your skills.
  • The most prevalent regret expressed by people is the absence of travel. Exploring unknown places and immersing oneself in other cultures is one of life’s most enriching experiences. Relationships with various cultures and history will transfer advantages to additional elements of life to broaden your understanding and approach difficulties with an open mind as your confidence improves with each new excursion. Traveling offers significant real-world exposure and independence, improving the value of your expertise and contributions.
girl.boss.bible

You are Responsible for Creating the Life you Want

By recognizing and building on their unique qualities, experiences, and skills, individuals can leverage their identity capital to create opportunities, expand their networks, and achieve their goals. This is especially important in today’s highly competitive and transforming global economy, where individuals need to distinguish themselves and demonstrate their value to potential employers, clients, and collaborators. Therefore, investing in one’s identity capital is not only a matter of personal growth and fulfillment but also a strategic career with long-term benefits.

Katy Masden, a junior at NC State majoring in Business Marketing, is on track to graduate early in the spring of 2024. Her academic journey is a fusion of creative extracurriculars and an insatiable wanderlust spirit, both of which have ignited her aspirations within the field of marketing. Her goal is to collaborate with innovative magazines and fashion companies that share her unwavering enthusiasm for pioneering ideas. As an active member of the American Marketing Association, Katy is eager to connect with industry leaders, recognizing the immense value of networking and shared insights to drive innovation within the marketing and global business landscape. Post-graduation, her ambition takes her abroad, with London as her destination of choice. There, she plans to immerse herself in the dynamic world of creative direction, forging cross-cultural collaborations and pushing the limits of marketing.