Why is Spongebob Squarepants so beloved?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Are you ready kids?

Spongebob Squarepants, the only 90’s Nicktoon that still airs to this day, is a cultural icon. But what makes the little porous yellow sponge so lovable?

The appeal of Spongebob Squarepants partially lies in the relatability of its characters. When we are young, we are eager and full of zest for life. Consequently, younger viewers of the show tend to identify with Spongebob and his silly antics. But, when we grow older, we begin to resonate with Squidward’s cynicism and disdain for work. The relatability of Squidward’s adult pessimism is captured by iconic moments like the “I wish I weren’t here right now” button. Spongebob perfectly captures the changing attitudes we experience from childhood to adulthood without making the escalating responsibility of adult life seem depressing. Though Squidward is a negative character, sometimes we see him experience a moment of joy and these are often the best scenes in the show. When Spongebob’s childlike innocence breaks through Squidward’s cynical heart, it is genuinely sweet and reminds us that even as our lives become more complex and serious there is still room for joy. The dynamic between Squidward and Spongebob is a reminder to the viewer that while growing up is inevitable, it is healthy to maintain some childlike wonder and innocence. 

Secondly, Spongebob is so popular because of its quirky humor. Spongebob humor captures the essence of nonsensical Gen Z humor. It is hard to explain exactly why, but Spongebob’s humor is timeless and the show’s jokes have become the essence of pop culture. Perhaps it is the expressiveness and malleability of these characters that has lead to such iconic memes as handsome Squidward and chicken Spongebob, or maybe the appeal lies in the sheer absurdity of the slapstick humor. The self-deprecating humor of Plankton and Squidward may also resonate with Gen Z, who seem to be disillusioned with the doldrums of daily life and hyperaware of their mental health or lack thereof. It is refreshing and funny to see Spongebob portray negativity and self-doubt in such a humorous way because failure and sadness are inevitable parts of life. Thus, Spongebob’s humor seems to be so popular because it is both zany and random while capturing the sentiments of our generation. 

Regardless of why Spongebob’s humor and characters are so relatable, it is certain that this cartoon will remain treasured by Gen Z and future generations alike. 

Ashley Rattenbury is a senior at NC State majoring in psychology and minoring in genetics and criminology. She currently works from home proofing legal transcripts. She has a passion for mental health, yoga, pilates, running, cooking, video games, art, and cartoons. After graduation, she plans to attend graduate school and study clinical mental health counseling. Ultimately, she wants to become a licensed clinical mental health counselor. She looks forward to writing articles about mental health, self-care and popular culture for Her Campus!