This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

What do you think of when you hear the term “social worker?” Some think of Child Protective Services or foster care, while others think of “public servant”, or a humanitarian. All of the above are true, but there is so much more to social work than meets the eye. Social work is an extremely broad field with many important roles in society. Social workers follow what is called The Code of Ethics, with six major themes that include service, integrity, social justice, dignity and worth of a person, the importance of human relationships, and competence. The social work profession is one of service and advocacy. Being a social worker takes compassion, drive, dedication, empathy, communication, as well as self-care, and organization.

What is Social work?

So what is social work? Social work is the profession of service to vulnerable individuals, families, or groups for the purpose of well-being and care. There are many different types of social work that include but are not limited to geriatric social work, clinical social work, administrative social work, social work in schools, child and family social work, and criminal justice social work. Within these fields, there are multiple subfields and jobs that are available. Geriatric social workers aid the elderly population who are vulnerable. Clinical social workers are mental health counselors. Administrative social workers work in offices to run organizations focused on public and social services. School social workers work in schools and help children with behavioral or family troubles. Social workers in the child and family field often work with CPS and other areas like that. Social workers in the criminal justice system can range from prison social work to victims advocacy. No matter what field of social work, they are all important with their own individual roles and values.

Why does society need social workers?

Now the question is why? Why do we need social workers? The role of social workers is to be of service to the vulnerable population. If society did not have social workers, the populations that need help the most would have no one to support them or advocate for them.

My personal goal

I did not start out as a social work major. I came to college as a business student in hopes of running a nonprofit organization. I felt unfulfilled with no direction. Then all of a sudden, I found the College of Humanities and Social Sciences and fell in love with social work. I met a woman who works in the criminal justice system as a social worker and on that day I said to myself, “I want to be exactly like her.” I want to be a social worker in the criminal justice system. My end goal is to become a victim advocate of major crimes. I help victims of the worst crimes imaginable by being the person they go to for help and questions. I go to court and advocate on their behalf. Social work is a career that I am very passionate about and excited to pursue.

A fun loving college girl who is obsessed with dogs and the bachelor :)