Culture > News

Why Ghislaine Maxwell’s Testimony Could Change the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Ghislaine Maxwell: her name is all over the news as the infamous British socialite who dated financier and pedophile, Jeffrey Epstein. But, who is this woman? What did she do? Why was her arrest so important?

Let’s back up. According to the James Patterson book, Filthy Rich, and the Netflix documentary of the same title, Ghislaine Maxwell was just as involved with Jeffrey Epstein’s sex trafficking ring as Epstein himself. Epstein and Maxwell both would recruit underaged girls to come to Epstein’s extravagant residences. When they arrived, they would be manipulated and sexually assaulted; sometimes these children were as young as twelve. 

On August 10, 2019, Jeffrey Epstein allegedly committed suicide in prison by hanging. This is a controversial manner of death because both conspiracy theorists and experts have spoken up in saying that it is likely that Epstein was actually murdered while he was in prison. An unlikely set of botched security camera footage and absent security guards is how Epstein was able to die without proof. Additionally, one expert stated that the breakage of a bone in his neck did not make sense with the manner of death.

The arrest of Ghislaine Maxwell occurred on July 2nd, 2020, well after numerous victims have spoken up about Ghislaine’s involvement in the sexual abuse of young girls. The real question is, why will Maxwell’s testimony be so important? Well, what we know about what Jeffrey Epstein did, despite how horrendous it was, is only the tip of the iceberg.

There are countless people that were connected with Jeffrey Epstein, and these people are part of some of the richest and most powerful circles in the entire world. Big names include Bill Clinton, Prince Andrew, and even Donald Trump. Because of how connected Epstein was with the top 1%, there are most likely skeletons in far more people’s closets. 

Ghislaine Maxwell’s trial date is July 12, 2021. The information she knows about the rich and powerful may quite literally change the world as we know it. This is all assuming she chooses to release information about who was involved with Epstein’s sex trafficking ring. 

Once again, conspiracy theorists believe that someone who doesn’t want Maxwell to release their information will orchestrate Maxwell’s murder. If she does give a tell-all explanation of Epstein and others’ wrongdoing, it would change the world as we know it.

Hi! My name is Isabella Castineyra, I am a senior majoring in communication media with minors in journalism and criminology. I am from Boston originally, so I am all for Boston sports teams (go Pats)! I love taking naps, listening to Billy Joel, and rewatching the same shows over and over again. Go Pack!!