Style > Fashion

Who Are the Rising Designers Redefining Luxury & Sustainability in Fashion?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

There’s a particular allure to change, isn’t there? It could be the exhilaration of adopting new fashion trends, the joy of discovering new music or the attraction of exploring uncharted destinations. In this whirlwind of an industry, where styles morph faster than the blink of an eye, it’s crucial to find a rhythm amidst the chaos. A new generation of designers is on the rise, wielding unique aesthetic perspectives that transcend conventional fashion boundaries. The fashion scene is transforming and you don’t want to miss the exceptional collections changing what we know about fashion to resonate with culture and individual expression in a way that is accessible to everyone. 

Luxurious Artistry: 

Nensi Dojaka:

Fashion Week made a triumphant return to the spotlight, captivating us with its innovative and timeless looks. However, it’s always the off-runway moments that truly captivate, right? Let us introduce Nensi Dojaka, a fashion designer who dazzles on and off the runway by skillfully fusing delicate patterns, sheer materials and elaborate lacework. Dojaka’s ascent to fame seems inevitable, considering well-known celebrities like Zendaya, Anya-Taylor Joy and Kendall Jenner adorn her designs. 

Her pieces are whispers of femininity that flatter and empower. Dojaka’s career is one worth following with awards like the LVMH Prize and the British Fashion Council’s 2021 Fashion Award for rising designer potential. Her designs encourage clients to embrace their vulnerability while proclaiming their strength, celebrating the dichotomy of women by recognizing the elegant and fierce aspects that reside inside every individual.

Nensi Dojaka FW 2023 by hfconfess

Theophilio

In a whirlwind journey that spanned three transformative years, Theophilio was founded under the direction of designer Edvin Thompson. A revolutionary brand that is a celebration of life has the fashion world enamored because of Thompson’s talent to spin artwork that is a love letter to his Jamaican heritage. Authenticity is evident in every seam and stitch, and it is this sincerity that has inspired a devoted fan base for Theophilio. He is a master of storytelling through his clothing, photoshoots and movements in the fashion industry. There is life in his collections, a portrayal of cultural intricacies and traditions displayed through extravagant headpieces, silhouette play and a continuous celebration of Caribbean culture.

His designs honor the artistry of fashion, integrate history and present collections that are autobiographical, all while drawing inspiration from cultural and artistic influences. As shown in the Gossip Girl spinoff, you’ll fantasize about becoming the next fortunate person to respond to the query, “Who are you wearing?” with “Theophilo.” More “it girls” in society are queuing up to purchase custom pieces from designer Edvin Thompson. Among them are Ice Spice, Kehlani, Keke Palmer, Tinashe, Victoria Mone and more icons to follow for your New Year’s inspiration. 

Theophilio L.A. BTS by Theophilio

Sustainable Pioneers: 

House of Sunny:

The British designers at House of Sunny inject eco-friendly happiness into the fashion industry. Their ethos? Crafting whimsical and fun designs out of organic and recyclable materials. Their clothing seems to embody the spirit of sunshine—bright, energetic,\ and environmentally friendly. Each item tells a story about ethical fashion, inviting users to experience the joy of responsibly chosen but vivacious style. Shafiq Hassan, the creator of the brand, says that it’s critical to make sustainable fashion affordable for younger people, saying, “Millennials and Gen Z should be able to afford our clothing.” This dedication to cost-effectiveness is consistent with the brand’s objective of providing eco-friendly clothing at an affordable price.

The World is Your Runway East London Showroom by Airbnb and House of Sunny

If their eye-catching designs and sustainability messaging haven’t already piqued your interest, consider this your official invitation to join the House of Sunny brigade. Trust me, it’s a world where affordability meets unabashed brilliance. Ever heard of the “tube girl?” Well, she’s not only an ambassador for House of Sunny, but the embodiment of their ethos—clothing that beams with confidence and exudes an infectious brightness. And let’s be honest, their messaging and style aren’t just convincing; they’re positively brilliant.

Tube Girl House of Sunny Moment by Houseofsunny

Eileen Fisher: 

In an era where conscious consumerism is gaining momentum, it is becoming increasingly crucial to support designers who embrace these ideals throughout their careers. A remarkable artist and innovator, Eileen Fisher exemplifies sustainable fashion. Style and sustainability can coexist, as demonstrated by her creations that radiate timelessness and adaptability courtesy of her dedication to integrating organic and repurposed materials. 

The brand promotes circular fashion by giving premium materials’ regenerative, recyclable and renewable qualities first priority so customers may purchase high-quality goods at reasonable prices. The creative team manages to deliver timeless looks for all body types while upholding beliefs that seek to reuse or replenish the materials used. They are a shining example of what the fashion industry may become.

Simple shapes, luxurious textures by EileenFisherny

Mara Hoffman

Mara Hoffman stands as a beacon in the fashion industry, revered for her unique approach that fuses creativity with a commitment to sustainability. Hoffman’s dedication to creating eco-conscious pieces strikes a chord with those seeking style with a purpose. Hoffman’s brand is proof that negative perceptions about sustainable fashion can be dispelled. Discard the idea that abstract, shapeless designs equate to recycled style. Her designs are a medley of avant-garde pieces that redefine beauty, fusing creativity, vibrant colors and sustainability to rewrite the rules of design.

Hoffman’s collaborations with innovative companies further cement her brand’s appeal. By using pre-existing fibers to minimize waste and create clothing, she’s not just a designer; she’s a catalyst for change within the fashion industry. Her approach to circular fashion not only makes a statement; it redefines the very essence of what fashion can and should be—creative, sustainable and transformative. Her brand symbolizes a shift towards a more conscious and inclusive future, where style isn’t just about looking good but feeling good about the choices made.

Resort 2024 Collection by Marahoffman

Cheers to Fashion’s New Leaders

With each purchase, we make a statement that transcends trends and embraces a more sustainable future because these designers create works of art that speak volumes about sustainability and representation.

As we bid adieu to the year, let’s not just turn the pages of our calendars but also the chapters of our style diaries. Join these fashion innovators as they embrace change and awaken your senses. After all, what could be more enthralling than a style that captivates the senses and speaks directly to the heart?

Katy Masden, a junior at NC State majoring in Business Marketing, is on track to graduate early in the spring of 2024. Her academic journey is a fusion of creative extracurriculars and an insatiable wanderlust spirit, both of which have ignited her aspirations within the field of marketing. Her goal is to collaborate with innovative magazines and fashion companies that share her unwavering enthusiasm for pioneering ideas. As an active member of the American Marketing Association, Katy is eager to connect with industry leaders, recognizing the immense value of networking and shared insights to drive innovation within the marketing and global business landscape. Post-graduation, her ambition takes her abroad, with London as her destination of choice. There, she plans to immerse herself in the dynamic world of creative direction, forging cross-cultural collaborations and pushing the limits of marketing.