Style > Decor

What Colors Promote Optimism and Cheer According to Feng Shui

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Feng Shui is a practice that many people put in place in their homes to alleviate negative energy or bring about a happier space. There are many mixed reviews on the effectiveness of this practice, but it is still intriguing and promotes a positive mindset. A lot of “feng shui-ing” is dependent purely on color. 

Red, green, and yellow are associated with cheer. Color is a huge communication faucet due to the fact that sight is one of our main senses and accounts for a majority of what we process mentally. Red, green, and yellow transmit uplifting messages to our brains because of their direct connection to nature. 

Yellow is associated with sunlight, green is associated with chlorophyll and rich plant life, and red is associated with flowers. Since these colors exist in nature in a lively and bright environment, they also promote that status and energy when you perceive them. Red also having the longest wavelength in the spectrum makes it extremely prevalent on sight and corresponds with excitement and intrigue. Incorporating these colors in your living or work space could help bring a little more cheer to your day-to-day life.

Junior at NCSU majoring in Communication Media Lover of strawberry ice cream and classic rock VP of Her Campus NCSU