Unveiling Hollywood’s Dichotomy at the 96th Academy Awards Ceremony

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.
barbie and oppenheimer
Warner Bros. / Universal Pictures

Whether or not you plan to tune in to the Oscars this year, the upcoming 96th Academy Awards will take place on March 10th, 2024. The ceremony will return with Jimmy Kimmel as its host. The nomination lineup holds some heavy contenders including “Barbie”, “Oppenheimer”, and “Killers of the Flower Moon” capturing the spotlight for Best Picture. However, amidst the excitement, there are many firsts in this award ceremony including the first Best Actress nomination for a Native American, Lily Gladstone. 

Lily Gladstone made history for her role in “Killers of the Flower Moon”. In the film, Gladstone portrays Mollie Burkhart an Osage woman in 1920s Oklahoma who is trying to save her community from a disastrous situation. Gladstone describes the film as a “restorative power” and emphasizes the great importance of bringing the stories of Native Americans into the foreground through representation in media. Another notable contender is Emma Stone for her role in “Poor Things”. However, many believe the race is tight and could go in either direction. The nomination of a Native American woman for Best Actress in the Academy Awards is a significant yet long-overdue milestone in the film industry. It creates a larger commentary about the lack of inclusiveness of Native Americans in the past and today’s American society. However, this historic moment represents a shift in acknowledgment of Hollywood’s diverse talent and more equitable representation in media. 

However, the nomination list also falls short through the film “Barbie”. The critically acclaimed summer hit was recognized in the Best Picture category but failed to gain a nomination for Best Director and Best Actress for Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie respectively. However, Ryan Gosling was nominated for Best Actor for his role of Ken in the film. Gosling’s nomination and the exclusion of recognition for Gerwig and Robbie’s performance make it clear that the Academy still fails to recognize the merits of women. Although Gosling’s role in the film was impactful, the lack of nomination for Robbie and Gerwig highlights the larger issue of gender disparity within Hollywood and society. Despite the increased representation and advocacy of the lived experiences of modern women, the film industry still struggles to recognize women on the same level that they do men. This harsh oversight perpetuates the problems that are represented in the film including the idea that narratives centered around women are less important than those focused on men. The Academy’s failure to recognize female achievement in key categories such as Best Actress demonstrates that Academy members need to carefully examine the selection and nomination process. Their decision had no regard for the talent and vision executed by Gerwig and Robbie and represents a continual failure to recognize the achievements and struggles faced by women in the past and in contemporary society.

The combination of the nomination for Lily Gladstone and the lack of nomination of Margot Robbie and Greta Gerwig demonstrates that Hollywood is at a crossroads. There was a historic shift in representation for Indigenous Peoples yet the film industry grapples with a backpedal in the recognition of the stories of women and persistence in gender inequality  Despite this controversial duality, there is always a potential for meaningful change in the film industry and in media.

Pilar Parker is a first year at North Carolina State University and a writer for Her Campus. Pilar has many interests including in fashion, media, film, journalism, etc. She is majoring in Psychology and intends to minor in another area of interest. Along with psychology, she is on a pre-health track and hopes to become a psychiatrist to provide mental health resources to underfunded and overlooked communities. Pilar was the President and Founder of a mental health club on her high school campus, The Soul Soup Club. As the President she also ran her club’s social media accounts and likes to passionately learn and discuss issues that are relevant to today’s world. She could also be found often working for her community in major ways through her high school’s chapter of the DREAM Team where she planned awareness events and campaigns for necessary causes and wrote important presentations for issues facing her campus and the community at large. Pilar was born and raised in Charlotte, North Carolina with her best friend and dog, Lela. In her free time, she likes to watch her favorite films which include The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Beautiful Boy, and Twilight. Pilar is also a music lover and enjoys jamming out to Taylor Swift and Nirvana or relaxing to Tame Impala and Billie Eilish. She is also a huge shopper and can be found any day of the week, online shopping or peaking in the mall.