Style > Fashion

Top Basics That Are Essential For the Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Fall weather is upon us, meaning fall fashion is finally here. While there are many fall trends for this season such as cowboy boots, thick sweaters and knitted clothing, nothing is better than a couple of basic pieces for a daily basis. In my opinion, having basic pieces in your wardrobe will be timeless and allow you to layer and add these various pieces to your outfit. Here are my top basic essentials for this upcoming season!

Starting with a go-to for me: sweatpants. This cooler weather finally means that sweats are back in season! Sweatpants are comfy, relaxing, cute, and the perfect pair of pants for comfort and style. My personal favorite pair is from Brandy Melville, the Rosa Pants. However, since Brandy Melville is a one-size-fits clothing brand, many people will not be able to fit into their pants due to the very limited sizing. I am also a huge fan of the Aritzia Cozy Boyfriend Sweatpants! Aritzia offers a large selection of sweatpants in different colors, styles, sizes, and fabrics! Although the Aritzia sweatpants are a bit more in pricing, I definitely believe it is worth the money, as the quality and fit are outstanding! Sweatpants are so versatile and can be paired with almost anything, from a simple tank top on a warmer day, to even a graphic tee for a more trendier look. I love sweatpants because they are easy to style and can be paired great with a matching sweatshirt or hoodie! If you are looking for a great sweatsuit look, Aritzia has great options!

Following sweatpants, I personally love oversized zip-up hoodies. Zip-up hoodies are great for layering and are an extra added warmth on those chilly days. My personal favorite is the Christy Hoodie from Brandy Melville. Brandy Melville offers an oversized and standard fit which is great, along with a variety of different colors. I love these zip-ups because they are very comfortable and thick. Nothing is worse than a thin jacket. These zip-ups are baggy enough that you can easily layer different items, but are also not too big to the point where you look like you are drowning in the jacket. I also love to layer an extra puffer jacket over these zip-ups for more warmth during the colder months. Another great option for a good zip-up hoodie is the oversized boyfriend hoodie from H&M. While they have a more limited color selection, their pricing is cheaper than Brandy Melville’s. Zip-up hoodies are great because they are the perfect jacket for the fall season that allows you to layer and mix different clothing colors. 

Next up, is the infamous square neck long sleeve, or even bodysuit. Having a basic long sleeve shirt is essential for the fall weather. However, to further elevate your style, I think that a square neck cut long sleeve is the best. Square neck cuts are very flattering on all body shapes and have been growing in popularity over the years. My personal favorite square neck top is from Parallel Apparel. They offer a few color selections and are one of the comfiest shirts to wear. With a very thick material, it sucks everything in and looks very flattering. Another great basic option would be the Aritzia Babaton Contour Squareneck bodysuit. This is a pricier option but the quality is incredible and it offers a wide variety of color and size selections. These square neck long sleeves are essential for the fall because they, once again, are great to layer under jackets and pair with sweatpants, shorts, and jeans! I love these shirts because they are tighter and look so flattering on the body. Once again, they are a great piece of clothing to keep you warm this season. 

A must-have this season: jeans! Not just any pair of jeans, straight-leg jeans. I personally love straight-leg jeans because they are super baggy and provide a good fit. My favorite pair to get is the classic straight-leg high-waisted from Zara. These are around $50 which is a standard price, but they are of excellent quality. I love these jeans because they are tight on the waist and butt, but are super loose on my legs. Another pair that I recommend is the classic 90’s straight-leg from Abercrombie. While these are pricier, the quality and fit are incredible. Abercrombie offers jeans for curvier women, like me, while also offering various lengths of jeans. I think that straight-leg jeans are perfect for this upcoming season because they are a classic and can easily be dressed up, or down. Since straight-leg jeans are essentially cut off at the bottom, you can easily pair them with any shoe. I love wearing high-top shoes because it gives the illusion of a low-top shoe since the jeans will simply go over the shoe. Once again, straight-leg jeans are great and can be worn in so many ways this fall!

Hii!! I am currently a student studying Fashion Textiles Management! I am from the Charlotte, NC area and hope to be able to live in New York City some day! I am also interested in anything fashion and lifestyle!