This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Selena Gomez launched Rare Beauty, her own make up brand, last spring exclusive to Rarebeauty.com and Sephora. Contrary to other popular celebrity brands in the beauty industry, she took a very organic approach to make up and created something to feel good while also making a contribution to those struggling with mental health issues. She is an avid advocate for mental health awareness and is very open with her personal struggles, which heavily resonates with her brand. Because of this, Rare Beauty created the Rare Impact Fund with the goal of collecting and donating 100 million dollars over the next ten years to help underserved communities receive access to mental health treatment. Everything from the packaging down to the positive shade names capture who she truly is and the amazing vision she has for this brand.  

While I definitely haven’t been wearing as much makeup as I did pre-quarantine, I was extremely invested in the development of this brand and the amazing cause some of the proceeds would go to so I purchased the entire collection to try out. While I truly enjoy every product and reach for them daily, these are my top five products that I could not live without. 

Soft Pinch Liquid Blush ($20)

Being absolutely honest, the very first time I tried these I hated them but it was due to user error; you have to be extremely minimal with the application because a little goes a very long way with these pigments. The cream blushes in this collection ended up being the product I reached for the most after I learned how much product I needed to apply. They come in a variety of shades that compliment all skin tones and blend seamlessly into the skin. They also come in two finishes, dewy and matte, so you can choose the finish based on your skin type. I personally love mixing shades and creating custom colors to match my eyeshadow and tie a look together.

Liquid Touch Weightless Foundation ($29)

The foundation in this range is simply stunning with it’s natural finish and medium to full coverage. It builds easily so I can layer it until I get my desired coverage and never look cakey. As a person with oily combo skin, I typically worry about separation throughout the day but I don’t have this issue with this weightless formula. It wears beautifully and is the perfect canvas for her other liquid products like the blushes and luminizers. The shade range includes a very diverse range of forty shades and undertones and have complimenting concealer shades.

Positive Light Liquid Luminizer ($22)

The liquid luminizers are extremely blendable highlighters that give you a “lit from within” look. Although it does look natural it can also be built up a bit for a more dramatic and blinding highlight. My favorite thing about these luminizers is that they mix well with the liquid blushes so I can sheer them out and make the blush look even dewier. They can even be mixed with the foundation to achieve a more luminous finish.

Stay Vulnerable Glossy Lip Balm ($18)

This glossy lip balm has absolutely changed the game for me. As an avid mask-wearer, I tend to get chapped lips from masks rubbing on them but I hate the heavy feeling of vaseline-like lip balms. This gloss is hydrating and feels like every other product from this brand: weightless. It’s not sticky like typical lip glosses but provides just as much shine. I love that there are a few shades as well so I can add a bit of color to match my looks while moisturizing my lips. 

Liquid Touch Foundation Brush

I skipped out on buying brushes when this brand first launched because I already have an excessive collection but caved on a random trip to Sephora. This is probably my favorite impulse purchase ever because my foundation has never looked so good. This brush allows you to melt products into the skin while keeping the coverage and absolutely no brush strokes are left behind. It gives you a seamless blend and skin-like finish, no matter what foundation you use. It’s a pretty dense brush so you don’t have to worry about wasting product since it absorbs a very minimal amount. I also use the leftover foundation on the brush to pat over the Soft Pinch Liquid Blush to blend out any harsh lines and diffuse the color a bit.

sophomore double majoring in Psychology and Public Relations
Junior at NCSU majoring in Communication Media Lover of strawberry ice cream and classic rock VP of Her Campus NCSU