This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.
  1. “The Climb” By Miley Cyrus

A beautifully sad yet encouraging ballad, “The Climb” by Miley Cyrus is a classic song and must be sung at karaoke. The melodic and emotional tune allows the song to be a perfect choice for your karaoke party. The trials and tribulations referenced in the song make it easily relatable for many and a crowd-pleaser for any event. The song is also immensely empowering and tells the story of an individual overcoming their challenges and achieving their goals. The song is also well-structured and can be appreciated by the musically inclined audience.

1. “You Belong With Me” by Taylor Swift

One of Taylor Swift’s most popular songs, “You Belong With Me” is a great choice to sing along to in karaoke. The song is wildly popular with a catchy melody that anyone can sing along to. Since the song was released in 2008, many people are familiar with the upbeat track and can sing along while you perform. Additionally, Taylor Swift references a sought-after love story of waiting for the right one which many can relate to. The relatability factor of the song will without a doubt engage your audience when you sing.

1. “What Makes You Beautiful” by One Direction

An immensely popular song, “What Makes You Beautiful” by One Direction is a classic song and great for karaoke. The song has been undeniably heard by everyone and therefore can be sung by any group or individual. Since the song is sung by a group, it is a perfect song for multiple people to sing as opposed to other options. The group can alternate between the parts of Harry, Liam, Zayn, or just sing along to the chorus. It also must be said that with One Direction’s sad split in 2015, singing their songs is a way to keep their music alive and connect with others. 

1. “Dance The Night” By Dua Lipa

Although a newer song, “Dance The Night by Dua Lipa was a popular sensation over the summer that everyone has probably heard many times. So you’re if intimidated by karaoke and afraid of going up alone, you’ll inevitably have many backup singers from the crowd. It’s also a perfect song to incorporate dancing into while singing along. To go the extra mile in your performance, you could learn the dance from the Barbie movie and be the star of the night by singing and dancing along to this song. 

1. “Baby” by Justin Bieber 

“Baby” by Justin Bieber is a great karaoke song for several reasons. Firstly, this is a highly popular song and is an iconic part of pop culture. Additionally, the song evokes a sense of nostalgia for singers and listeners alike. “Baby” has been out for what feels like decades now and it feels right to say that everyone knows the lyrics to this smash hit. So when singing this song, you won’t have to worry about knowing the words or singing to a silent room. This song can be sung by a wide range of voices and is, therefore, a song if chosen, will unite many. The song also brings a fun energy to any party and singing it during karaoke will be a fun time for anyone. 

Pilar Parker is a first year at North Carolina State University and a writer for Her Campus. Pilar has many interests including in fashion, media, film, journalism, etc. She is majoring in Psychology and intends to minor in another area of interest. Along with psychology, she is on a pre-health track and hopes to become a psychiatrist to provide mental health resources to underfunded and overlooked communities. Pilar was the President and Founder of a mental health club on her high school campus, The Soul Soup Club. As the President she also ran her club’s social media accounts and likes to passionately learn and discuss issues that are relevant to today’s world. She could also be found often working for her community in major ways through her high school’s chapter of the DREAM Team where she planned awareness events and campaigns for necessary causes and wrote important presentations for issues facing her campus and the community at large. Pilar was born and raised in Charlotte, North Carolina with her best friend and dog, Lela. In her free time, she likes to watch her favorite films which include The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Beautiful Boy, and Twilight. Pilar is also a music lover and enjoys jamming out to Taylor Swift and Nirvana or relaxing to Tame Impala and Billie Eilish. She is also a huge shopper and can be found any day of the week, online shopping or peaking in the mall.