Tips for Meeting his or her Parents This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.
College Girls’ TopCollege Girls’ Top 10 Tips When Meeting Your Significant Other’s Parents
As Thanksgiving is approaching and I’m preparing to go home, my boyfriend decided to ask me to go
home with him for a couple of days to meet his parents for the very first time. YIKES! At first, I was
excited but then MILLIONS of thoughts ran through my head; “What do I wear? What do I bring? What should I say? How will I do my hair?”

Meeting your significant other’s parents or family for the first time can be nerve wracking! With the

holidays approaching, I’m sure many of you readers are experiencing the same situation and are
freaking out on how to prepare. First impressions are everything, who knows how long it will be until you see them again? You want to leave a lasting good first impression with his/her parents. (Trust me, when the parents hate your bf/gf, it can be a NIGHTMARE!)

I went to my girlfriends and asked them for advice on how I should dress, act, and what I should bring when I meet his parents. A lot of their suggestions were really helpful, so here’s my compiled list of what my girlfriends suggested…

The top 10 things to keep in mind when meeting his or her parents. (no specific order)

1. “Make sure this is the most appropriate time to meet them. Do they know you two are dating?
Do they know you’ll be coming? Make sure not to surprise them and don’t rush into meeting them.

2. “Don’t show cleavage, if the dress or top you’re wearing is low-cut, WEAR A CAMI! Make sure your dress or skirt isn’t too short. And don’t put too much makeup, a natural look is best” My suggestion on what to wear? A nice knee-length dress with a cardigan.

3. “Be respectful, greet them nicely and be really friendly.”

4. “Bring a gift, like flowers for his/her mom, and bring something for the rest of the family like a
fruit basket or food like a cake or cheesecake.”

5. “Make yourself useful. When you eat dinner and finish, don’t just put the dish in the sink, make

sure to clear up your spot and wash it and do theirs too. They might tell you not to, but it’s
polite and they’ll like it.”

6. “If you’re staying the night, sleep in a separate room. He might say his family won’t mind, but be

respectful to their home.”

7. “Don’t show too much PDA! Holding hands is okay, but hugging and kissing all over the place is a
no-no!”

8. “If you see someone cleaning or cooking, offer to help. They may not need it, but the fact you
offered to help is appreciated.”

9. “Don’t curse too much in front of them.”

10. “BE YOURSELF! You want to be respectful, polite, and friendly, but don’t be so nervous you
forget to be yourself. Just relax, breathe, and try to enjoy yourself!”

I hope you find these tips as helpful as I did! Remember, don’t stress too much. Your boyfriend / girlfriend likes you for a reason and they’ll care for you no matter what. Some parents are hard to win over, but hopefully you will win them over with these great tips from real college girls!

hopefully you will win them over with these great tips from real college girls! 10 Tips When Meeting Your Significant Other’s Parents

excited but then MILLIONS of thoughts ran through my head;

“What do I wear? What do I bring? What should I say? How will I do my hair?”

freaking out on how to prepare. First impressions are everything, who knows how long it will be till you
see them again? You want to leave a lasting good first impression with his/her parents. (Trust me, when
the parents hate your bf/gf, it can be a NIGHTMARE!)

I went to my girlfriends and asked them for advice on how I should dress, act, and bring when I meet his
parents. A lot of their suggestions were really helpful, so here’s my compiled list of what my girlfriends
suggested, the top 10 things to keep in mind when meeting his/her parents. (no specific order)

Do they know you’ll be coming? Make sure not to surprise them and don’t rush into meeting
them.
2. “Don’t show cleavage, if the dress or top you’re wearing is low-cut, WEAR A CAMI! And make
sure your dress or skirt isn’t too short. And don’t put too much makeup, a natural look is best”

My suggestion on what to wear? A nice knee-length dress with a cardigan.

3. “Be respectful, greet them nicely and be really friendly”
polite and they’ll like it.”
respectful to their home.”
no-no!”
offered to help is appreciated”
9. “Don’t curse too much in front of them”

I hope you find these tips as helpful as I did! Remember, don’t stress too much. Your boyfriend/girlfriend
likes you for a reason and they’ll care for you no matter what. Some parents are hard to win over, but

hopefully you will win them over with these great tips from real college girls!
Misha Tobar is a junior at North Carolina State University. She is majoring in Political Science and hopes to attend law school to become a lawyer. In her spare time she loves to write and catch up on her favorite tv shows. Her interests include fashion, beauty, exploring new restaurants, and blogging.