This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you might’ve originally written off the popular app TikTok as a children’s app and a waste of time. For the longest time, I thought I was above it all and there was nothing on the platform that would cater to me or my interests, but I could not have been more wrong! Since downloading Tiktok at the beginning of quarantine in March, I have not only learned more about some of my favorite topics, but been introduced to a ton of new creators and subjects that I now am a huge fan of. If you’ve never actually logged in, you may believe that Tiktok is solely ditzy young influencers doing dance trends, when in fact the app is extremely diverse, with creators of all ages, backgrounds, and talents. Now without further ado, allow me to put you on to some of my personal favorites on the app who I think you should go follow right now. Feel free to look through my descriptions and pick and choose which you might enjoy!

Lifestyle

@lexxhidalgo & @han.jarr are two of my favorite creators on TikTok! Both post similar types of content surrounding creating a healthy and happy life. They give nutritious recipes, unique workouts, motivational words, organization tricks, and ways to develop your mindset into becoming the best version of yourself. Both of them motivate me to create positive changes in my life, without making me feel guilty or not good enough in comparison. Huge girl power vibes and definitely worth a follow for daily inspiration.

Musicians / Singer-Songwriters

One of my favorite things about Tiktok is the platform it gives to up and coming artists to have the opportunity to blow up and promote their music. It is so easy to take a second out of your day to give a like, comment, or follow to boost a hardworking artist. My recent favorite finds are @maudelstatus and @elizamclamb. 

Maude Latour is a college student based in NYC who has released music on Spotify and uses Tiktok to continue to promote herself. If you like artists like Lorde, scream-singing in the car, or having dance parties this is your girl. 

Eliza McLamb is another artist (actually from NC!) who is currently based in Los Angeles. She gained traction on Tiktok for her notably unique style of music and ability to write compelling lyrics that seamlessly tell relatable stories, usually related to her experience growing up and coming into her own. Other than music, she also posts different astute thoughts and ramblings about numerous interesting topics.

I strongly suggest that you check out both of these amazing artists on TikTok and Spotify and support up and coming artists!

Sustainability

In the past year I have gotten a lot more interested and invested in sustainability and how I can do my part to make a positive impact on the planet, or at least reduce my negative impact. I love being able to go on to Tiktok and scroll through quick and informative videos that teach me realistic options for how to be more eco-friendly. @sciencebyashley is a great account that centers around reducing food waste. Ashley goes over so many ways to use all parts of food, avoid produce going bad, and just make the most of the products you buy, saving you money and helping to save the earth. @carissaandcoffee is another eco-influencer I really enjoy who is constantly putting out videos raising awareness about how our daily actions affect the earth, as well as offering realistic solutions and swaps that people can make to have a more positive impact. These creators are a great place to start your journey towards being more green. 

Health

Gynecologists @drjenniferlincoln and @dr.staci.t are the queens that I never was looking for but am so glad to have found. Both of these women made their way onto my FYP (for you page) and quickly earned my follow through their highly educational and insightful videos. Both doctors approach all kinds of taboo topics related to women’s health in a professional and kind manner, as well as debunk harmful myths and products. Even as a college-aged woman I am still surprised by how much I have been able to learn about my own self and body from them, would definitely recommend it.

Cooking

Lastly, a side of Tiktok that I will never not love is cooking Tiktok! There are so many talented chefs who make amazing recipes on the app but I want to highlight 2 that stand out to me. The first is @winnyhayes, a mom who posts daily of the meals she makes for her kids. These meals are next-level though, seriously. I watch these videos in awe of what her children eat every day and love to see the creative and beautiful recipes she comes up with. Secondly is @thekoreanvegan, arguably one of the best and most well-rounded creators on the app. Joanne Molinaro, aka the Korean Vegan, is more than just a chef. She is an attorney, a first-generation American, and a storyteller. With intricate recipes as her backdrop, her soothing voice speaks over her recipes and tells stories of her experiences with life, love, family, career, and more, putting every little aspect in perspective.

So there you have it, 10 of my all-time favorite (and coincidentally all female!) TikTokers who keep me on the app now, 6 months after being stuck at home. These women all entertain, teach and inspire me on a daily basis and remind me why Tiktok is so much more than just a “kids app.”

Hey! I'm Catie and I am a Junior at NC State studying Communications (PR) and Political Science. I am a huge extrovert and love spending time outside, doing anything crafty, going on walks, and taking naps. I am passionate about social justice, feminism, lifestyle organization, and getting involved on campus. I can't wait to share all of my thoughts and opinions with you!
Hi! My name is Isabella Castineyra, I am a senior majoring in communication media with minors in journalism and criminology. I am from Boston originally, so I am all for Boston sports teams (go Pats)! I love taking naps, listening to Billy Joel, and rewatching the same shows over and over again. Go Pack!!