Three TV Shows Created by Women with Badass Female Leads

Women are consistently underrepresented in positions of power in the film and TV industry. Hopefully, these three TV shows created by women with amazing actresses leading the series will show you why we need more female representation in this industry. I would highly recommend watching all of these if you have not seen them. 

1. 1. Good Girls (Available on Netflix, Hulu)

Good Girls is created by Jenna Bans and stars Christina Hendricks, Mae Whitman, and Retta. It follows the story of three suburban mothers, two sisters, and one life-long friend, who fall on hard times. In order to provide for their families, they decide to rob a grocery store but get way more money than they bargained for. It turns out the grocery store was laundering money for a gang and now they must pay their debt. They end up getting in way too deep. Along with its suspensefulness, this show is full of comedy, heartfelt family moments, and love triangles. It’s hard to get enough of this show and I promise it will have you glued to your TV all day.  

2. 2. In The Dark (Available on Netflix)

In The Dark is created by Connie Kingsbury and stars Perry Mattfeld. In The Dark is a suspenseful story about Murphy, a blind young woman with a fiery personality and an alcohol and sex addiction. When her best friend who saved her from a violent mugger, Tyson, was found murdered, Murphy becomes obsessed with solving his murder case. This is an exhilarating series with comedy, romance, crime and many twists and turns. In The Dark also highlights problems in today’s society including ableism, racism, and police brutality.  It is a great show to watch and I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a series that involves crime and mystery.

3. 3. Dead to Me (Available on Netflix)

Dead to Me is created by comedian, actress, producer, and writer, Liz Feldman and it stars Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini. Dead to Me is about Jen, a mother who loses her husband in a hit and run. Jen becomes friends with Judy, the woman who hit her husband. Jen does not know Judy was the one who hit her husband, Judy must hide this from her. This show is much better if you do not know a lot about it before watching it, so I would recommend going in blind. It is full of comedy and drama and I would definitely recommend watching this show if you enjoy a good murder mystery.