Aubree Brabham?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Aubree Brabham?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Things I’ve bought from TikTok: Worth the hype?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

The amount of items I have purchased just because I saw a TikTok about it and impulsively had to try it out myself is concerning…well, at least that’s what my bank account is telling me. I’m not sure what it is about strangers on the internet telling me to buy something that sends me sprinting to Amazon or my nearest Target to grab the “hottest” item, but I love it. While there are some things I have LOVED, there are some things that I think aren’t worth the money or the hype. So, here’s the list in order of my favorite things I’ve bought thanks to TikTok…

Fidget ring- YES

I absolutely love the fidget ring that I got off of Amazon. When I first stumbled upon the TikTok about this ring, I knew that it would end up in my cart. As someone who fidgets when I’m anxious, bored, or nervous this ring is perfect. They have so many colors and even different widths so anyone could find a ring they like. So, if you fidget like me but want something fashionable and less obvious, I would highly recommend this ring.

New Girl original prop- YES

As an avid lover of the show “New Girl,” when I saw a TikTok of a few girls opening a package that had original props from the show, I knew I had to get my hands on something from the set. I went straight to the website and saw a picture frame of my two favorite characters that was a part of the original set. I knew that I would never forgive 

myself if I let someone else buy that precious frame, so I had to get it… and it was the best decision I’ve made. 

Essence mascara- YES

Okay, I’m going, to be honest. I was pretty skeptical about a $5 mascara, but I decided to give it a try because hey, it was only $5. Once I tried it, I understood the hype and began using it every single day. While it’s not my all-time fav anymore, I would still recommend it to anyone who needs a financial break from the usual $20 mascara.

Gold hoops- YES

The first video I saw with these precious earrings told me these are the perfect dupe for Hailey Bieber’s iconic gold hoops. Obviously, I wanted to look like her (because who wouldn’t?), so I bought them and now wear them with almost every outfit. They are so universal that you can pair them with anything and BOOM:  your outfit is now complete. 

Cerave moisturizer- NO

Now I don’t want to hate on “SkincarebyHyram,” but I was kind of disappointed when I used my Cerave moisturizer for the first time. As someone who has dry to combination skin, my face needs a moisturizer that’s pretty thick and will last longer than 10 min. So, if you have normal or oily skin, I would recommend this. If your skin is like mine and dry as the Sahara, I would say to not waste your time on this product.  And if you are going to purchase this, please do so from anywhere other than Amazon because the price is higher and the formula is noticeably different with a strong, not so pleasant smell. 

Truly lip mask- NO

I was so excited to try this cute gold star lip mask that I was seeing everyone use. But after spending $14 on a tiny jar of “jelly-lip plumping mask,” I was expecting great results. I was pretty disappointed because even though the idea of glittery stars is so cute, the product didn’t do its job.

Elf Hydrating Camo Concealer- NO

This is probably the most controversial opinion on this list. While literally thousands of people were saying how much they love this concealer and how it can be a dupe for the Tarte Shape Tape, I disagree. When I used this concealer, it was too cakey and caused too many creases throughout the day. I found myself going back to my Maybelline Age Rewind concealer the next day and had no issues. So again, if your skin is super dry I would not recommend this concealer unless you want your under eyes to crease like a pair of old Air Force 1s. 

Hi everyone, my name is Roxie and I'm from Charlotte, NC! I'm a junior majoring in marketing and minoring in art and design. I love dancing, spending time outdoors, baking, and drawing/creating. I've always loved the creative freedom that comes with writing and I'm so excited to be a part of Her Campus!
Hi! My name is Isabella Castineyra, I am a senior majoring in communication media with minors in journalism and criminology. I am from Boston originally, so I am all for Boston sports teams (go Pats)! I love taking naps, listening to Billy Joel, and rewatching the same shows over and over again. Go Pack!!