Life > Experiences

The Ultimate Food Diary: What I Ate in Chicago

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Check out these top-rated restaurants I visited!

Recap of Winter Break

The holiday season is officially over, and it is time to get back into the school year stronger than ever! This doesn’t mean we forget all the amazing fun activities and places we visited over break. My family and I decided to visit the one and only Windy City for a week and we dined out every meal of the day. After thorough research, my dad and I created the best itinerary for our family so we would be satisfied with our dining experience in Chicago. Today I will share some of my favorite meals I ate at the restaurants we went to!

1. Rosebud on Rush: Rigatoni Alla Vodka

My family and I went to this restaurant for Christmas dinner, and I absolutely loved it! The pasta was so delicious- their vodka sauce is mwah chefs kiss💋

⭐️Overall rating: 5/5

2. Giordano’s: Chicago Classic Deep-Dish Pizza

I got to try Chicago’s very own deep-dish pizza and it was amazing! This pizza was filled with pepperoni, mushrooms, green peppers, and onions. Lots of cheese and it was ooh so delicioso 

⭐️Overall rating: 4/5

3. The Hampton Social: Hampton Caesar & New England Clam Chowder

This restaurant has such a cute beach theme and is the best breezy hangout spot! The salad was so tasty and so was the chowder!!

⭐️Overall rating: 4/5

4. Portillo’s Hotdogs: Maxwell Street Polish Hot Dog

We tried out one of Chicago’s famous hot dog restaurants and it was so fun! This hot dog was topped off with mustard and onions, the dog itself was a little too salty for me but overall, I get the hype!! 

⭐️Overall rating: 3/5

5. Barrio: Ancho Marinated Shrimp Tacos

This Mexican restaurant was so adorable, I had the shrimp tacos and they tasted SOOOOO GOOD! Personally I’m a fan of mini tacos and this place had the best recipe:)

⭐️Overall rating: 5/5

6. Ema: Classic Hummus & Chicken Kefta Kebab

This Mediterranean restaurant had an amazing indoor ambiance. The hummus and pita bread were out of this world and the chicken kebab and rice were so delicious, I would definitely go back :)) 

⭐️Overall rating: 5/5

Tejal is a writer for Her Campus magazine, a Gemini, and lover of boho-chic fashion. Outside of Her Campus, Tejal is a fellow brother in the professional co-ed business fraternity Alpha Kappa Psi currently holding the role of a Director of Marketing and has held a role in the Mental Health Committee and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee. She has created an impact by finding ways for other brothers to spread positivity, display acts of kindness, research mental health resources. She has also helped a few non-profits in her previous role as a consultant with 180 Degrees Consulting which has allowed her clients to advance business performances, boost social media engagement, and implement talent acquisition initiatives. She is a junior at North Carolina State University and studying Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing. After graduation, she hopes to move to New York, back to the Bay Area or D.C., and work for a fashion-related or biopharmaceutical company as a Marketing/Sales campaign director. Tejal was born and brought up in the Bay Area in California and moved to North Carolina when she was 11 with her parents and younger brother. She enjoys painting, shopping, reading, listening to new music, cooking, and exploring around with her. She is an avid Lana del Rey fan along with The Weeknd. Her favorite movies are all 8 Harry Potter films!