This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

It is no secret that my favorite decade for style is the 1960s. It is one of the only decades that I feel its fashion can translate into today’s world. The style of the time heavily influences brands like Anthropologie and Alice + Olivia, and they certainly aren’t the only ones. There are so many style icons from the era that are still referenced majorly today. One of my favorites, though, has to be actress Sharon Tate. Her style is one of my all-time favorites, and often find myself drawing inspiration from her outfits when styling my own. 

Tate is severely underrated and unappreciated. Most people view her negatively due to her tragic death in 1969. She was killed along with three of her friends by the Manson family when she was only twenty-six years old and eight months pregnant. Most people only talk about her in the context of her death and will overlook her contributions to fashion history and pop culture. Quentin Tarantino’s 2019 movie Once Upon A Time…in Hollywood touches on her story (with Sharon played by Margot Robbie), and it is a must-watch for anyone interested in 1960s Hollywood. 

I am going to look at her best (and some of my favorite) style moments throughout the decade and appreciate her legacy as a style icon. 

Genie Blue Dress

This dress is one of my all-time favorite looks from her, and I even have one of my own. She wore this during a trip to Paris in 1968, and the photos show her frolicking through the city and even eating at the world-famous cafe “Les Deux Magots.”

Ossie Clark Snake Coat

Another favorite of mine is her Ossie Clark snakeskin coat. She wore this to her director husband, Roman Polanski’s, premiere of his movie Rosemary’s Baby. She wore a Thea Porter two-piece underneath (see below). The entire look is incredibly chic and extravagant and I love it.

Alba Wedding Dress

Her most iconic look is undoubtedly the short Alba wedding dress she wore in 1968. I usually hate short wedding dresses, but this is the only exception. Her hair was over the top fabulous, and the dress was just so dainty and beautiful. The dress is unfortunately now in “Zak Bagan’s Haunted Museum” in Las Vegas, NV along with some of Charles Manson’s ashes which is completely and utterly disrespectful.

Alba Golden Globes Dress

This Alba dress that she wore at the 25th Golden Globes is a dress that I could see on the red carpet today. My favorite part is the sheer balloon sleeves. This was an important Golden Globes for her as she was nominated for her first and only Globe for “Best New Star” in her most popular movie, Valley of the Dolls.

Paco Rabanne Top

When I first saw this top, I thought to myself how it looked like it would be a Paco Rabanne. Unbeknownst to me, Paco Rabbane was founded the year these photos were taken, so she was one of the first people to get their hands on this iconic designer.  

Thea Porter Two-Piece

As I mentioned earlier, Sharon wore this Thea Porter two-piece set underneath her snakeskin coat to the premiere of Rosemary’s Baby. It also happened to be her 26th birthday celebration.

Thea Porter Dress 

Her style is the definition of the 1960s, and this dress represents that for me. It gives me huge hippie vibes, and she wore it many times, whether lounging around her house or posing for a photoshoot. 

Genie Polka-Dot Dress

Another favorite mini dress of mine is this Genie Polka-dot dress worn on the same 1968 Paris trip that the blue one was worn. The mini puff sleeves paired with the polka dots are so 1960s, and this style is seen today. 

Cannes Dress

Although the braids take the cake in her 1968 Cannes look, I love the gown she wore too. It is often overlooked because her hairstyle in this look is often recreated, but I think the dress is unique, and I also love the pearl necklace. 

Street Style

There were too many street-style looks to cover individually, so I lumped them together. Whether a mini skirt or a long fur coat, Sharon had a fantastic and versatile personal style that cements her legacy as a fashion icon.

Finally, I cannot speak about Sharon’s style without talking about the outfit recreations that Once Upon A Time…in Hollywood costume designer, Arianne Phillips, made for the movie. Although not all of them are exact replicas, they are things that Sharon would have worn, and she got the essence of her style down pat. Margot Robbie even got to wear some of Sharon’s actual jewelry while filming that was lent to her by her sister Debra Tate.

Sharon’s style impact did not end after her tragic passing, it has carried onto the red carpets and in designer collections today. Many celebrities, including Blake Lively and Sydney Sweeney, reference her in subtle ways, whether intentional or not.

She and her style and fashion moments are often overlooked and forgotten, but I think she is one of the most impactful fashion icons that are still around today, even if it is just through inspiration. I am sad that her life got cut so short but I am glad that her legacy is still around and will last forever.

Cameron Crews is the president of Her Campus at NC State. She is responsible for publishing all articles, leading meetings, encouraging all staff, and overseeing the entire chapter. This is her third year on Her Campus and her second year as President. Outside of Her Campus, Cameron was the Editor-in-Chief of her high school’s yearbook, which she helped lead to being awarded the best book in the entire state and honored at Columbia University’s scholastic journalism awards. She worked as an intern at Southpark Magazine in Charlotte, NC, where she edited articles, conducted interviews, and assisted the editors. In the Summer of 2023, she attended Regents University in London, England, where she took fashion classes from high players in the fashion industry who have worked with the likes of Andy Warhol, Alexander McQueen, Christian Siriano, and more. She also had the opportunity to interview Brendan Fraser immediately after he won his “Best Actor” Oscar at the 2023 Academy Awards. She is a junior at NC State University majoring in Communications with a minor in Journalism. After graduation, she hopes to move to New York, LA, Paris, or London and work in the fashion industry as either a fashion editor or celebrity stylist. Cameron was born and raised in Charlotte, NC, with her younger brother and dog, George Bailey. She enjoys shopping, watching movies, listening to music, writing, hanging out with friends, and traveling in her free time. She is a huge Taylor Swift and Harry Styles fan and has seen them both in concert multiple times. She is also a huge Timothee Chalamet aficionado and is a huge movie fan–with some of her favorites being Once Upon A Time…In Hollywood, Barbie, Lady Bird, the Breakfast Club, and Breakfast at Tiffany’s.