This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Mahsa Amini… this is a name you need to know.  Amini is an Iranian woman who died in mid-September of 2022, a few days after being detained for supposedly violating Iran’s strict hijab law. It is being said that the morality police killed Amini while she was in custody, however, police are stubbornly denying these accusations.

Video posted by @humanrightswatch on Mahsa Amini’s death.

Protests and the government

Following her death, women became outraged… and understandably so. Protests broke out in support of Amini and to show their frustration. Women shouldn’t be killed for choosing to show their hair or for choosing to wear clothes that aren’t loose-fitting, and this is exactly what they are fighting for. At these protests, women are cutting their hair as a symbol of strength against the oppression long created by the hijab law.  As they take part in these powerful protests, they chant “women, life, freedom” and “mullahs get lost.” However, what are supposed to be peaceful protests, have turned violent due to the ruthless Iranian authorities. The goal is to scare them into not speaking up.  Women are getting hurt. Children are getting hurt. People are getting hurt.

According to the Council on Foreign Relations, there have been dozens of protestors that have been killed, and over a thousand people arrested thus far.  In an attempt to hide this from the people of Iran, the government has been restricting their cellular service and internet. People have been disconnected from what is really happening and it’s become extremely dangerous. They don’t know what to expect when they step foot outside of their homes.

Photograph posted by @dis_cultured of woman cutting her hair at a protest in Iran.

What you can do

One of the most important things we as women, and we as people, can do, is help acknowledge and educate on what is happening in Iran.  Iran’s government wants to silence their voices, but they need to be heard. A few organizations to consider donating to or showing your support include the Center of Human Rights in Iran and the Abdurrahman Boroumand Center. Additionally, Amnesty International has created a petition in order to help end protest bloodshed in Iran. If none else, please follow social media accounts such as The Human Rights Watch and Middle East Matters to help stay informed.

Just because you don’t hear about it, doesn’t mean it’s not happening.

Hi!! My name is Annabella and I’m a junior majoring in Communication with a concentration in Public Relations and minors in Journalism and Business Administration. I love music, writing, hiking, reading, and traveling!