Career

The Bridge to Adulthood: Thoughts on the Future From a College Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

If you’re like me, the idea of becoming a (real) adult seems very daunting. I just started my senior year of college, so it’s time for me to start thinking seriously about my future. While I still want to live my life and enjoy college while I can, I also want to be prepared for my future and set myself up for success. 

My first question for myself is: What do I even want to do after graduation? While this may seem like a simple question, it is packed with so many possibilities. Do I want to join the workforce right away? Do I want to travel? Should I move back home? I am still trying to navigate these questions. 

What I do know is that everything will happen the way that it is supposed to. I don’t want to put too much pressure on myself to have every little thing planned out. If I do end up having to move back home for a bit, that is okay. If I find a job that pays me well and can find my own place to live, that is great too. After all, I am still young, and navigating big life changes will undoubtedly come with many challenges. By reminding myself to relax and take things as they come at me, I have eased many of my anxieties about the future. 

What I plan to do is explore any job options around me until I find something that is right for me. If this doesn’t come right away, I know I have my current job to fall back on in the meantime. The beautiful thing about being young and independent is that I know my story is still being written. I am not afraid to make mistakes, and I know I can pick myself back up after hardships. 

So, if you are like me and dealing with some of these same thoughts, know you are not alone. It may seem overwhelming, but trust that everything will work out the way that it is supposed to. You got this!

My name is Katie Barrows and I am a writer with a passion for all things related to lifestyle, wellness, relationships, and more. My goal as a Her Campus member is to create content that inspires readers on various aspects of life, from health and well-being to personal growth, while also writing on intriguing, enjoyable topics. I especially love the aspect of community and connections that I have built through HC. Currently, I am a senior at North Carolina State University, pursuing degrees in communications/public relations and business administration. I also have a minor in social work, and actively work with many nonprofit organizations. Outside of my academic and writing pursuits, I love fitness and the outdoors, as well as beauty, makeup, and skincare. I'm also an avid fan of the TV show "Love Island." Looking ahead to life after graduation, I hope to work in the field of public relations and marketing, using my education and writing skills to help organizations effectively convey their messages, build strong brand identities, and connect with their target audiences.