The best apps you need for your iPad (and to use with the Apple Pencil)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Yes, I am officially an iPad kid now, minus the crusty fingerprints on it. Although a very expensive decision was made to purchase an iPad and Apple Pencil, I absolutely love every second of it. My notebooks and planners are stuffed under my bed, along with my hefty textbooks. I couldn’t even tell you the last time I used actual paper and pencil. Everything I do is on my iPad, from notes to reading and even playing Subway Surfers. If you just purchased an iPad but don’t know where to start in regards to apps and notetaking, I got you covered.

1. Goodnotes 5

When I tell you that I cannot explain how much this app has helped me organize and write notes, I am not joking. With this $7.99 purchase from the App Store, it gives you unlimited access to writing notes, editing PDFs, exporting documents, annotations, and so much more. When using an Apple Pencil, the iPad has palm detection programming that won’t move the screen around while writing. Goodnotes gives templates for paper, such as lined, bullet, or graph. Not only note-wise but this app can be used in planning and keeping track of homework.

2. Libby

For those who love reading, this app is the perfect fit for you (and you don’t even need to use it on the iPad). Libby is a free app that gives you access to your local library’s book catalog and free books to read on your iPad or even phone. All you have to do is put in your library card information then boom, you can read whatever book your heart desires. This app has honestly helped me get back on track of reading.

3. Notion

Keeping track of all your assignments during college can be stressful and time-consuming. With Notion, a free app on the App Store, you can easily create personal calendars, to-do lists, and timelines with the help of templates. Because I’m “paperless” now, Notion is super easy to use as my daily and weekly planner, and having it on all my electronics is definitely a game-changer.

4. 5 Minute Journal

Especially with this new semester being somewhat normal, in-person classes can be stressful and anxiety-inducing. 5 Minute Journal, a self-care journaling app, allows you to keep your mental health in check and stay grounded in a stressful environment. Every day, you can write journal entries for each day, ranging from gratitude checks to daily affirmations.

Hi! I am Ashmi Dagar and I am currently a sophomore studying Agribusiness Management with a minor in Statistics. I am a member of the Chi Omega sorority here on NCSU's campus. I love cafe jazz music (especially when I study), hiking, self-love podcasts, and getting Cookout 24/7!