Springtime Serenade: 6 Vintage Songs to Set the Mood for the Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

As the weather warms up and flowers start to bloom, it’s time to say goodbye to winter blues and welcome the fresh, new beginnings of spring. And if you have a pollen allergy (like me), you might have a love-hate relationship with North Carolina springtime weather.  

But worry not. What better way to transition into the season than with a playlist of vintage songs that capture the joy and optimism of springtime? 

From sweet ballads to catchy tunes, these six songs will lift your spirits and put you in the mood for all the sunny days ahead.

1. I Wish You Love by Sam Cooke 

I Wish You Love has been performed by many artists since its American inception in 1956 as the song. As the song is adapted from French musicians Charles Trenet and Léo Chauliac’s Que reste-t-il de nos amours ? Cooke’s version feels almost cinematic as his vocal cadence longs for a new season where both he and his ex-love are healed from their heartbreak.

2. Be My Baby by The Ronettes

Be My Baby is an eternal classic released in 1963, and it still feels new and fresh no matter how many times you listen to it. It instantly fills me with joy as the lyrics are a simple request of hoping someone will agree to be your person — your baby. The heavenly vocals and orchestra-like instrumentation are just the icings on top. 

3. Blue Skies by Ella Fitzgerald

Blue Skies is a masterclass in elegant vocals, doo-wopping and smooth jazz by the legendary Ella Fitzgerald. I smile every time I hear this song because it’s a reminder that blue skies are not meant to be taken for granted, as you’ll quickly miss them when it’s rainy and gray outside. 

4. Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I’m Yours) by Stevie Wonder 

Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I’m Yours) is undeniably one of Stevie Wonder’s many treasured hit songs. It’s a Motown classic originally released in 1970, but I can’t but think it still elicits that same thrill of excitement in 2023. And Spring is all about rediscovering all that we missed during the winter. 

5.  I Get The Sweetest Feeling by Jackie Wilson

I Get The Sweetest Feeling is one of my favorite songs. It’s a ballad that turns anyone into a dancer. If you’re searching for a main character moment, this song makes for the perfect soundtrack. 

6. Do You Believe in Magic by The Lovin’ Spoonful

Do You Believe in Magic is the go-to soundtrack for montage scenes in television series and films, which makes it the perfect soundtrack to listen to while walking around campus.

With these songs as your soundtrack, you’ll be transported into a coming-of-age film, feeling like the main character dancing your way through the ups and downs of spring – even if those downs include sneezing fits from pollen allergies.

Alandya is a junior at North Carolina State University. She considers herself to be an aficionado of all things Motown. When she isn't writing you can find her making smoothies, reading a historical biography or watching the news.