The Lalacoat Watch Brick Wall
The Lalacoat Watch Brick Wall
Her Campus Media
Style

Simple Ways to Elevate Your Fall Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Picture this: you have an upcoming date, birthday party, or trip to attend. You want to make a statement, but after scouring your closet for an hour and trying on countless outfits, you can’t come up with anything that has that “wow” factor. If you’re anything like me, this cycle is a daily occurance, regardless of the occasion. Oftentimes however, all an outfit needs is a special touch. To help combat the somewhat excruciating task of styling your wardrobe, here are a few tips and tricks to give your outfits a boost.

Add a Bag

Not only is a bag convenient for holding the essentials of a phone and lip balm, but the type of bag you wear can change your entire look in an instant. One style of bag I have become infatuated with this fall is the shoulder bag – a perfect way of paying homage to the 90’s. Whether it’s made from nylon, patent leather, or crocodile skin, this bag will spice up any outfit: from a pair of sweats to a dress and heels.

Layer That Jewelry

My pride and joy: jewelry. Jewelry is one of the easiest ways to make an outfit pop, and there are endless possibilities and combinations to try out. This fall in particular, I have seen a rise in chunky, gold jewelry (yet another ode to the 90’s). Whether it’s with a pair of chunky gold hoops, a thick chain link necklace, or stackable gold filled bracelets, this new era of bold jewelry is simple yet striking. Another approach to jewelry that will accentuate a plain top is the layering of necklaces. My personal favorite way to elevate an outfit with jewelry is with rings. Rings come in all colors, shapes, and sizes, and can be stacked or worn in solitaire.

A Cropped Cardigan

Cropped cardigans are all the rage this fall season, and with them being highly versatile, they can be layered onto any outfit. My personal favorite colors have been nude and blush tones, as well as the plethora of stunning pastel colors. Whether they are worn buttoned up with a pair of straight leg jeans or worn open over a top, this comfy and stylish option is a go-to.

Stock Up On the Basics

Finally, having basic pieces in your wardrobe will give you the creative freedom to create any style of outfit you choose. Pieces such as denim, solid colored sweaters and tops, and monochrome ensembles can be dressed up or down with the addition of accessories. For example, a comfy pair of sweats can be dressed up with a pair of chunky gold hoops and a stylish bag. Oftentimes, less can be more, and not only are simple outfits effortless to curate, but they showcase the most important thing: you and your beauty!

Lily Grissom is a sophomore at NC State University majoring in Accounting with a concentration in Financial Analysis. Some of her favorite things are movies, music, and the environment!
Junior at NCSU majoring in Communication Media Lover of strawberry ice cream and classic rock VP of Her Campus NCSU