This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Visiting NC’s Capital and don’t know what to do?? Get some learning on! Here is some information on the Natural Science Museum, History Museum, Art Museum and Marbles Kids Museum here in Raleigh that you can visit. There is so much to do here in Raleigh that not only is fun but expands your mind and enables you to learn a little something new!

First up we have the NC Museum of Natural Science! All ages can get something out of the experience this museum provides. The plentiful permanent exhibits give us a look at pre-historic North Carolina, the nature life found from the tropics to the mountains, scientific information on “gross” bugs to butterflies, the gem-filled world underneath us and more! There are also amazing visiting exhibits such as the Dueling Dinosaur exhibit coming soon in 2024. I had the opportunity to tour many of the fossil mounts and pre-historic information this museum has to offer through my class on Dinosaur Culture and it doesn’t disappoint. There are also opportunities such as the Discovery Room that give kids the opportunity to learn more about natural history through hands on and interactive resources. The NCMNH is the most visited museum in NC and has many campuses to help educate on the natural world, inspire conservation and create a more knowledgeable society informed by science.

Next we have the NC Museum of History! On the website, the NC Museum of History highlights it’s opportunities for adults, children and educators/students. Per the mission statement, the museum is all about collecting and preserving “artifacts and other historical materials relating to the history and heritage of North Carolina in a local, regional, national, and international context to assist people in understanding how the past influences the present“. There is nothing to lose in learning more about different cultures and environments and how our history impacts who we are!

This ones for all the parents and guardians out there looking for a fun time to spend with their kids while also allowing them to learn! The Marbles Kids Museum in downtown Raleigh is a great place to plan to visit for a fun family outing. Aside from extremely fun events and exhibits highlighted on the website, they also host birthday parties!

Finally, my personal favorite museum here in Raleigh, the NC Museum of Art! The Art Museum’s vast collection makes it a need for anyone visiting Raleigh or surrounding areas. The NCMA is home to many art collections from 19th Century European Renaissance art, Egyptian funerary art, gorgeous sculptures and vase pieces from Greece and Rome to more current pieces. The museum also highlights collections of African, ancient American and Jewish ceremonial objects. My personal favorite after some research in one of my classes is the collection of Augustus Rodin statues, I highly recommend checking them out on your visit. Come during a beautiful day to also take a stroll in the 164-acre Museum Park that is home to beautiful art pieces constantly being looked after and restored by local artists. Guaranteed that the NCMA has something that will spark a creative bone in you, every time I visit I’m inspired to sketch or write.

Along with amazing collections and exhibits, these museums also offer internship and volunteer opportunities!! If you are a college student interested in these opportunities, here are some links to check them out:

NC Museum of Natural Sciences (internships for college students)

NC Museum of History (internships for college students)

NC Museum of Art (internships for college students)

Marbles Museum (volunteering- any age, not just college students!)

Amanda is a current sophomore at NC State and writer for their Her Campus chapter. This is her first year in Her Campus and she is super excited to gain more experience writing in a blog-style format! Being a student at NC State, Amanda is double majoring in English with a Concentration in Secondary Education and Religious Studies with a minor in Women & Gender Studies. She is part of the Honors & Scholars program here at State and through that became a part of Creative Writing Crew last semester as a way to be held accountable with writing regularly. Throughout CWC, she really dived deep into writing poetry and short-narratives. This helped to grow her love for writing and interest to begin writing more blog-style articles. This semester she is also part of the Feminist Writing Group through the Women's Center and hopes to have time to join the English club! She is passionate about all things literature and education as well as all kinds of music and movies/shows. She plans on studying abroad both this summer and Spring 2025 semester and is excited to share her experiences through Her Campus. Aside from writing, Amanda adores going to concerts (current favorites seen live being Paramore, Taylor Swift, and Elton John). When she isn't reading in a coffee shop she spends her time binge watching TV-shows (such as Gilmore Girls, The Vampire Diaries, Glee, and One Tree Hill), hanging out with friends, listening to music, or just hanging with her cat. Some other current favorites include the movie The Blues Brothers and book Looking For Alaska by John Green. She is also currently a part of Every Nation Campus, an on-campus ministry that meets various days throughout the week. Post-graduation, she hopes to expand her teaching career to teaching ESL abroad and exploring the world while researching different religions effect on society and it's connection to different cultures gender norms and expectations! :))