The Pursuit of Happiness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Pursue happiness by doing what makes you happy. If only it was as easy as saying it. We do not know what the right thing for us is most of the time and I certainly do not know what would make me happy most of the time. I think I want something and I get it. I get an A in that class or I win a contest. However, something is still missing. I’m not going to give you some advice like find yourself in you because I don’t know how to find myself in me. I know what it means, but I don’t know what the process of finding yourself in you is like. There is no set process for every single person. All our journeys to happiness are unique. I’ll just share how I find happiness and maybe you will get some ideas and find your unique pursuit of happiness.

1. Do not let others steal your joy

Do not let others stealyour joy and your happiness.  All of the things on this list would help you keep your joy and happiness despite what others say.

2. Surround yourself with your friends and loved ones
Maybe consider moving back home if you need to or go home every week.  Be around a community in which you feel loved and taken care of.

3. Let go of your past emotional pains

Heal yourself of your emotional hurts and pains by laughing, finding joy in your surroundings, and find joy in your family and friends.

4. Keep an open heart
Be loving and kind, trust others, but only after they have gained that privilege.

5. Do what you love even if others say or act negatively
Do what you want to do.  What makes you want to get out of bed early in the morning?  Do whatever your answer is whether it is soccer, reading, or writing.

6. Follow your dreams
Do not let others stop you from following your dreams.  Follow your dreams no matter what negative
things people say.

7. Laugh like crazy
Laughing is considered the best medicine since it increases endorphins and relieves stress and worry.

8. Help others
These people could include grandparents in a nursing home, people who have lost a loved one in tragedy, or children who need someone to play with them.  There are many more people as well.

9. Listen to music
Music can change your emotions and mood instantly. Listen to your favorite songs that just make you want to scream to the sky out of pure joy.

10. Spend time with animals
It relieves stress and worry.  You also get better grades and will become happier.  I should know because I did a field study for my English class recently on this topic of whether spending time with animals helps to relieve stress and worry and helps students earn better grades and increase happiness.

11. Read great literature
Great literature includes your favorite books as a kid, Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman, or Surviving the Applewhites by Stephanie S. Tolan.

12. Talk to your trusted friends
Talk to your friends and let them know how you are doing.  This is also a great way to relax and to relieve some anxiety and stress.  It also makes you happier.

13. Make time for friends and relaxation
Relax and just do not think about your worries.  Hakuna Matata.

14. Do not clutter yourself
Make time for yourself, your family, and friends.  Arrange your time so that you have time to drop everything and spend time with someone.

15. Join an activity or group that you want to do or have always wanted to do
There are many clubs and organizations here at NC State and outside of NC State.  Help kids by joining Campus Pals or join the Zoology club or join a dance team or the Animal Companion Club (where you get to see different animals).

16. Do something spontaneous
Like join a dance club at NC State when you know you can’t dance, or the cooking club when you have no previous experience (the cooking club is open to everyone regardless of cooking experience and I should know because I have been to their meetings.  It is a very relaxed environment and we have fun cooking.  Plus, you get eat what the group cooked afterwards)

17. Be silly
 Be silly once in a while…make fun of yourself.  It is a great way to relax.

18. Create ways to have fun at random times
These things could be skipping to class or dancing to class or humming or whistling or kicking pine cones and little rocks along the way (just don’t kick towards a car or a person by accident).

19. Have fun
Find ways to just have fun and to enjoy doing what you love.  Get caught up in what you are doing so that you are not thinking about that English assignment or that chemistry test.

20. Be a kid
Being like a kid means that you do not stress over unnecessary things and find joy in the simplest things.  Remember when you were a kid and your biggest concern for the day was whether you were going to play soccer or play video games. Live in the words of Pumbaa and Timon from Lion King, “Hakuna Matata” which means no worries for the rest of your days.  I don’t mean to eliminate all worries because worry means that you actually care about someone or something.  However, don’t stress and find ways to relieve stress.  Go outside and dance in the street or something to relieve some stress.  Play your favorite sport or board game or video game.  Go see a movie or read a book that you love especially if they remind you of happier days.

21. Do not be afraid to cry
A great man once said that people are so afraid to cry.  He said that it is okay to cry.  It helps to relieve tension and stress.  Do not cry all day though unless you need to.  Go out and get some sunshine and most of all be happy.  After you cry, surround yourself with family, friends, and loved ones.  Be happy.

Campus Correspondent and Founder of Her Campus NCSU - kristiedemers@hercampus.com Kristie Demers is a Senior English major at North Carolina State University. When she isn't studying or busy working on campus, Kristie enjoys running, writing, reading, photography, and painting. She volunteered as an athletic trainer for the Cheerleading team freshman year and developed an unwavering devotion for the Wolfpack. This Wisconsin natives passions include traveling, spending time with family and friends, and loving even the little things in life. Although she is down to earth and loves making people smile, Kristie is hard working and welcomes challenges. All that this happy-go-lucky girl dreams for the future is to write for a magazine and live at the beach. In the meantime, her heart lies in the bricks at N.C. State and beats with every chime of the Bell Tower!