Style > Fashion

Pretty in Pink: We Need to Talk About Valentino’s FW 2022 RTW Collection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

I need to start by saying that Pierpaolo Piccioli is an actual genius. 

Anyone who knows me knows that pink is not just my favorite color, it is my way of life, So I was destined to fall in love with Valentino’s Fall/Winter 2022 Ready-To-Wear collection that was presented at Paris Fashion Week. The collection was titled “Pink PP” paying homage to the creative director Pierpaolo Piccioli’s initials, as well as the predominant color of the showcase. “Pink PP” will also be added to Pantone’s color database.

In an interview with Vogue magazine, Piccioli states that he “always wants pink in [his] collections” as it is a “color that [he] feels you can subvert better because it already has a lot of meaning.” He also stated that he surprisingly never wears pink. 

The show took place at the Le Carreau du Temple in Paris and the entire showroom was covered in hot pink. It was attended by many celebrities including Vanessa Hudgens, Maluma, Sir Lewis Hamilton, and Zendaya, who was wearing pieces from the collection.

The show featured 81 total looks that were almost entirely the same shade of hot pink. There were a handful of looks that were completely black that were meant to offset the pink, but overall 48/81 looks were bright pink while the other 33 were completely monochromatic black. 

The collection was a beautiful display of various materials, necklines, and shapes and I am completely obsessed. I can’t lie when I say that Paris Fashion Week this season was boring me. I enjoyed some of the shows but everything felt redundant. Now I know I am biased when saying I love this collection, but I really truly do. It was a great combination of street style, business chic, and elegant dresses. 

It was extremely hard to pick, but I did decide on my ten favorite looks from the collection that I wanted to talk about. (Scroll through the post to see my favorites!) 

The first look is my absolute favorite from the show. This gown is so elegant and the details are beautiful. It was the second to last look shown but I personally think it should have been the grand finale. 

I keep staring at the second look and admiring the craftsmanship. The entire gown is adorned with flowers with bright pink gloves underneath.

I think the third look would look best in my closet. I always love a matching set and this mini dress and jacket are no exception. I also need these tights in my wardrobe. 

The fourth look is a little daring, but it is sequins and sparkly so you can definitely count me in.

The fifth look screams Blake Lively and I need her to wear this ASAP. The turtleneck and the oversized trench coat with the bows are absolute perfections.

Surprise! I actually did choose a black outfit as one of my favorites. I am obsessed with this shirt and could definitely see Harry Styles wearing it in the future (even if it isn’t Gucci). 

The seventh look is another mini dress but I love the shape of it and the neckline is so elegant and fun.

The eighth look is giving me muppet and loofah realness and I am so here for it.

The ninth look is another beautiful gown. I love the floral arrangements found in all of the dresses as well as the unique neckline.

My final favorite look is the long sparkly fur coat with the matching chiffon top and slacks. I love a good fur coat and will be trying a find a way to get this into my closet. 

I want to highlight my favorite aspects of the show very briefly and first wanted to include photos of the various necklines that the collection had. Although some were basic, there were a ton of really unique ones that I wanted to include. 

The collection also had a large variety of coats and jackets. Whether they were short, long, oversized, or cropped there was definitely no shortage of jackets.

I was also really impressed by the diverse group of materials that the collection used. I know that designers typically use lots of different materials in one collection, but I could not help but notice that almost every piece was made from a different material and somehow it all come together so cohesively, which is another reason why this collection is my favorite. 

I can’t talk about this collection without highlighting the black looks that were showcased the compliment the boldness of the pinks. These looks were just as amazing and I think it was perfect to showcase them in the middle of the performance to give the audience’s eyesight a break from all of the brightness.

Overall, this is one of the best shows I have seen not just from Valentino, but from a major fashion house in a while. I know there will be people out there that will vehemently disagree with me, but that’s the wonderful thing about fashion: everyone can have their own opinions and style.

I need to end by saying that Pierpaolo Piccioli is an actual genius. 

To view the entire collection visit the link below. 

https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2022-ready-to-wear/valentino/slideshow/collection#1

Cameron Crews is the president of Her Campus at NC State. She is responsible for publishing all articles, leading meetings, encouraging all staff, and overseeing the entire chapter. This is her third year on Her Campus and her second year as President. Outside of Her Campus, Cameron was the Editor-in-Chief of her high school’s yearbook, which she helped lead to being awarded the best book in the entire state and honored at Columbia University’s scholastic journalism awards. She worked as an intern at Southpark Magazine in Charlotte, NC, where she edited articles, conducted interviews, and assisted the editors. In the Summer of 2023, she attended Regents University in London, England, where she took fashion classes from high players in the fashion industry who have worked with the likes of Andy Warhol, Alexander McQueen, Christian Siriano, and more. She also had the opportunity to interview Brendan Fraser immediately after he won his “Best Actor” Oscar at the 2023 Academy Awards. She is a junior at NC State University majoring in Communications with a minor in Journalism. After graduation, she hopes to move to New York, LA, Paris, or London and work in the fashion industry as either a fashion editor or celebrity stylist. Cameron was born and raised in Charlotte, NC, with her younger brother and dog, George Bailey. She enjoys shopping, watching movies, listening to music, writing, hanging out with friends, and traveling in her free time. She is a huge Taylor Swift and Harry Styles fan and has seen them both in concert multiple times. She is also a huge Timothee Chalamet aficionado and is a huge movie fan–with some of her favorites being Once Upon A Time…In Hollywood, Barbie, Lady Bird, the Breakfast Club, and Breakfast at Tiffany’s.