Preceding Her Debut Album, Gracie Abrams Releases New Single ‘Difficult’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Singer/songwriter Gracie Abrams has returned to music after six months with her new single ‘Difficult.’ She collaborated with Aaron Dessner of The National on this single, as well as on the rest of her debut album. The two worked together on music at Dessner’s Long Pond Studio, a name Taylor Swift fans know all too well from Swifts ‘Folklore: The Long Pond Studio Sessions.’

Upon first listen of the minute long clip Abrams posted to TikTok before the release of the song, it immediately reminded me of Big Red Machine and Taylor Swifts song ‘Renegade,’ which is again produced by Dessner. Both songs have somewhat similar sounds and dwell on the constant feeling of anxiety.

With a high energy pop sound paired with introspective lyrics, ‘Difficult’ easily allows Abrams and her audience to forget about any emotions they may be dealing with for four minutes and eighteen seconds. While you may be forgetting your problems while listening to the upbeat music, the lyrics are sure to make you think “did she steal all of this directly from my head?” The relatable aspect of Abram’s music is what allows her listeners to feel so close to her, making her feel like a best friend rather than an unreachable singer.

The synth sounding drum beats paired with guitar allow the song to build to the chorus, which is unexpectedly a jump on the bed with a hair brush and sing your heart out moment. The lyrics (Oh, I know / Spiraling is miserable / I should probably go back home / Why does that feel difficult?), while catchy, are not something you would expect to be singing along to with a smile, but the up beat and high energy production of the song allows you to completely forget about the feeling of wanting to be invisible.

I personally love this sound for Abrams. It is entirely different from a lot of her work in the past on her EP’s ‘Minor’ and ‘This is What it Feels Like.’ I hope she continues to experiment with her sound and who she is as an artist on her upcoming debut album while also staying true to the sound many people know and love from her. You can listen to ‘Difficult’ using the link below or anywhere you stream music.

Ava Stewart is the current Vice President of Her Campus at North Carolina State University. She loves to write about all things pop culture for the site, especially music. She is a true fangirl at heart which is heavily reflected through her writing. In addition to writing and publishing articles, she is in charge of overseeing the entire chapter and ensuring it runs smoothly. This is her third year as a member of Her Campus and second year serving as Vice President. She is currently a junior studying communication media studies, journalism and English at NCSU. In the summer of 2023, she briefly lived in London, England, taking literature and film classes to expand her background in reading and writing. She would love to go back to London after graduation. Ava was raised in Waxhaw, North Carolina, a town just outside of Charlotte. When she’s not writing for Her Campus, Ava loves listening to music, spending time with friends and traveling for concerts. She is a Harry Styles and Taylor Swift superfan and loves to find some way to incorporate the two of them in everything that she does. Her favorite Taylor Swift era is 1989 and she cannot live a day without listening to it.