This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Every time I am asked what my hobbies are, I give similar answers. Hiking, painting, playing lacrosse, keeping up with politics, etc., and usually I am met with total understanding. That being said, when I include personality tests onto that list, I am often met with confused looks about how this counts as a hobby or why it is one of my favorite things to talk about. Some people think of personality tests similarly to more abstract concepts like horoscopes, but to me, they’re one of the best ways to understand myself and connect with others. Analyzing my test results over the years has aided me by putting into words the strengths, weaknesses and traits that make me who I am. It astonishes me that a simple, yet intentional questionnaire can give results so accurate to myself and many others, and when I meet other people who are also interested in these tests, it is easy to make an instant connection and understand a ton about the person who I just met. Below, I am going to let you guys know about some of my favorite and most classic personality tests. These are a great place to start if you’re interested in learning more about these types of tests or yourself!

The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator

As probably the most well-known personality test, the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) is “an introspective self-report questionnaire indicating differing psychological preferences in how people perceive the world and make decisions.” The test assigns you to 1 of 16 personality types based on your leanings in 4 categories: introversion or extraversion, sensing or intuition, thinking or feeling, judging or perceiving. 

Linked above is a free version of the test that gives extensive results which I love to read through. I am personally an ENFJ.

The Enneagram

This is my personal favorite personality test! This test is based on 9 interconnected personality types and determining which ones you fall most into. Your results will give you a number of your main personality type and then a “wing”, being some of your secondary traits that come out. This test will show you all of the main types they identify you with, but after reading about each you can decide if those are the ones you truly relate to, or if some of your secondary ones fit better.

My Enneagram is a 8w7, “The Challenger” x “The Enthusiast”. This website has some really great insight on all of the types.

Love Languages

You have most likely heard of Love Languages before – these are considered the main ways that we show and receive affection with those around us. The 5 main paths are Words of Affirmation, Physical Touch, Quality Time, Acts of Service, and Gift Giving. The test asks you to choose between options of what would make you feel most loved and ends with a ranking of your personal Love Languages. These are a great way to communicate with a romantic partner or even friend about how YOU personally enjoy receiving love, as everyone is different and has different types of affection they are comfortable with. 

My top love languages are Words of Affirmation, Physical Touch, and Acts of Service.

These 3 tests are just a start to the many many personality tests out there, many rooted in science and psychology, and some just for fun! I love taking these tests and retaking them, seeing how I have grown and changed as a person. These are a great way to put into words your unique traits, reactions and feelings and be able to communicate them more clearly with the people in your life. When I meet people who are just as interested in this topic as me, I love to have in depth conversations about our types and how we see them manifesting in our daily lives and relationships. Taking some time to participate in these tests and deeply reflect on yourself and your wants and needs is one of my favorite forms of self-care and I could not suggest it enough! 

Hey! I'm Catie and I am a Junior at NC State studying Communications (PR) and Political Science. I am a huge extrovert and love spending time outside, doing anything crafty, going on walks, and taking naps. I am passionate about social justice, feminism, lifestyle organization, and getting involved on campus. I can't wait to share all of my thoughts and opinions with you!
Junior at NCSU majoring in Communication Media Lover of strawberry ice cream and classic rock VP of Her Campus NCSU