How To Enjoy Your Period
How To Enjoy Your Period
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media

Period Poverty: A Simple Rundown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

*This article seeks to educate on period poverty, not to give medical advice.

Period poverty is a global issue that affects millions of women worldwide, yet it remains a largely overlooked and stigmatized problem. This article aims to shed light on the significance of period poverty and why it deserves our attention.

Period poverty refers to the lack of access to safe and hygienic menstrual products, services, healthcare and education. This issue affects people in both low and high-income countries and people across various socio-economic backgrounds. The inability to access basic menstrual necessities can affect not only a person’s physical health but can also hinder their opportunities. 

Health Implications

Period poverty often forces women to resort to alternatives to typical sanitary products, like cloth, towels or even leaves, putting them at extremely high risk for infections and health complications. In addition to this, women in many countries face extreme stigma not only in societal attitudes, but also from lawmakers and healthcare professionals. This presents a major barrier, obstructing women from accessing the care they need. 

educational barriers

Women and girls confronting period poverty often find themselves having to miss school or work. This consequence stems directly from their inability to effectively manage their menstruation. This has many repercussions and creates a growing gap in both education and professional development. Persistent absenteeism can lead to lower academic performance and hinder the development of crucial skills. As these individuals miss valuable classroom time, they face challenges in keeping up with the curriculum, contributing to a persistent educational gap.

Why Should We Care?

Period poverty is a major worldwide issue that requires awareness and action. By understanding the causes, impacts and consequences of period poverty, we can advocate for positive change that helps women all around the globe have access to basic healthcare and products. We can work towards creating a world where menstruation is no longer a barrier to education, health or dignity. It’s time to break the stigma so that every woman has the right to manage their menstruation with respect and equality.

My name is Katie Barrows and I am a writer with a passion for all things related to lifestyle, wellness, relationships, and more. My goal as a Her Campus member is to create content that inspires readers on various aspects of life, from health and well-being to personal growth, while also writing on intriguing, enjoyable topics. I especially love the aspect of community and connections that I have built through HC. Currently, I am a senior at North Carolina State University, pursuing degrees in communications/public relations and business administration. I also have a minor in social work, and actively work with many nonprofit organizations. Outside of my academic and writing pursuits, I love fitness and the outdoors, as well as beauty, makeup, and skincare. I'm also an avid fan of the TV show "Love Island." Looking ahead to life after graduation, I hope to work in the field of public relations and marketing, using my education and writing skills to help organizations effectively convey their messages, build strong brand identities, and connect with their target audiences.