New Years Eve Tradition

Happy New Year! Sparkling confetti tumbles down along with every memory, every regret, every triumph and every pain from the past year. A new year means that you can wipe the slate clean and start fresh, and that’s exactly what my best friend and I do every year. A pen, a piece of paper and a match is all we need for our ongoing tradition of making burn lists. These burn lists aren’t like the “burn book” in Mean Girls, it is a simple way for us to reflect on our year by burning bad memories and events. The funny thing is, over the years our lists have seemed to shrink. I can’t decide if it is because we are becoming more optimistic and seeing that these “bad memories” actually turned out to benefit us in some way, or if it is because we are growing up and the dozens of bad things we used to think were bad have lost significance and fewer things instead hold greater importance in our lives. Who knows? Who cares? I’m just happy that it’s a new year! Happy 2011 everyone!

Campus Correspondent and Founder of Her Campus NCSU - [email protected] Kristie Demers is a Senior English major at North Carolina State University. When she isn't studying or busy working on campus, Kristie enjoys running, writing, reading, photography, and painting. She volunteered as an athletic trainer for the Cheerleading team freshman year and developed an unwavering devotion for the Wolfpack. This Wisconsin natives passions include traveling, spending time with family and friends, and loving even the little things in life. Although she is down to earth and loves making people smile, Kristie is hard working and welcomes challenges. All that this happy-go-lucky girl dreams for the future is to write for a magazine and live at the beach. In the meantime, her heart lies in the bricks at N.C. State and beats with every chime of the Bell Tower!