Career

Networking and Elevator Speech

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

I have taken away a lot from my intro environmental science class, to my surprise it was not all about science. One specific thing that has stuck with me was the networking and elevator speech lesson. We had to go to two community events and network with four different people and, boy, was I dreading it. However, through the course of the next few weeks after the project was assigned, we learned helpful hints and tricks to make the assignment easier. Networking gives you a chance to meet professionals with similar interests to you that can help you get even more connected. Many people get their jobs straight from connections they have in their field. A lot of students might think networking can seem premature, but it is never too early. Even if you do not know what you want to do for your life or career plan, networking can help you get ideas. 

When it comes to networking, you should first make a good first impression. Next, try to get information by asking questions. Try to ask open ended questions instead of just yes or no questions. You might want to send a follow up email to them to further the connection and potentially invite them to connect with you on a professional social network like LinkedIn. 

A perfect way to start the conversation with a potential mentor is an elevator speech. An elevator speech is a way you can quickly and concisely communicate about yourself to who you are speaking with. In the speech, obviously include your name and major, but also try to fit in your field of interest, challenges you see within that field, experiences you have, your unique contribution to the field, and maybe end with a question. The speech does not have to be simply you speaking, instead it is just there to start a dialogue. 

It’s not always what you know, but also, it’s who you know. 

Junior at NCSU majoring in Communication Media Lover of strawberry ice cream and classic rock VP of Her Campus NCSU