My Top 10 Favorite Looks From the 2021 Met Gala:

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Monday, September 13th was one of the most iconic nights of fashion of the year: The Met Gala. The theme of the 2021 Met Gala was “American Independence.” There were so many ways that celebrities could take this theme: through stars, vibrant reds and blues, bold statements, paying homage past celebrities/icons, or not participating in the theme at all. Below are my top 10 favorite outfits from the 2021 Met Gala.

My TOP 10:

10. Timothee chalamet

My 10th favorite look from the Met Gala was from Timothee Chalamet. This all white look consisted of a variety of pieces: a satin tux, white sweats, and white Converse. This look combined formal attire with a laid back and a casual look. Although I didn’t love the white Converse in this look, I think he still made a neutral colored outfit look very sleek and put together.

9. Cara delevingne

Coming in at number 9 in my top 10 was Cara Delevingne’s look. Overall, it was my second favorite bold statement on the night and she killed it. Her badass top read “peg the patriarchy” and I think she had one of the best interpretations of the theme. So much of “American Independence” has to do with women trying to prove themselves to men and drive that they can be successful individually. Delevingne’s bold look reveals that she is a powerful and independent woman who will not be belittled by men.

yU91sTAG026iujV5PmW0h2Kf AvNq8WKzrNL8ULeNr09ON4xj DahpqCNkruAmjVqXWheCjK0Fjuc77bvFyB

8. Yara Shahidi

My 8th favorite look was from the amazing Yara Shahidi in a stunning gown. Shahidi’s look paid homage to one of the most powerful female African American fashion icons: Josephine Baker. Similar to Baker, Shahidi’s outfit consisted of gloves, a very detailed gown filled with beads, an elegant trail, and even a diamond choker. Her outfit was entirely Dior and she completely killed this look by taking a unique twist on the American theme.

xORnqKZcIvtMaWWIG9RW3xbtGxJz381oR2YKcomLbhP1rXmj SBhClqHMXC5XOvPMC7 Odpe3SOKt4dK tgejMhrEcOxbzF7WPeOP kKBkvX2Nj3RI 8Uk7VDyutaIqEafYZBH9=s0

7. alexandria-ocasio cortez

My 7th favorite look was quite controversial and from the one and only AOC. AOC got a lot of praise and hate for this look and I will give my two cents on it. Critics of AOC questioned why she would wear this dress when she herself is at a prestigious event for the wealthy. I believe that AOC knows she is wealthy and believes that she, along with others, should be taxed more to help lower class Americans and our country as a whole. AOC created a bold statement that totally exemplified the theme and I am here for it!

CyksPxzZFcri3YhflquXuXECBqPsT Tx6dlPsHxsyD eRWjOtpBstOaC7U9cC72VKNkbbiiB7l

6. Megan fox

Megan killed my 6th favorite look and was absolutely stunning! Although I didn’t love her wig, she wore a beautiful red long sleeved Dundas gown with Jimmy Choo red platform shoes. Many wondered why Megan was walking the red carpet alone, without her boyfriend, Machine Gun Kelly. However, once Megan reunited with him, she changed into a see-through Mugler designed dress. 

351 HNpW472saiEr oW8XM9MVjn4en8k2FUTVnwKH1XFaJQwVc92VR6OABftOIWXSE9UIXnQ8iou5IAhr6PY92wOEDBhX5rXvzuRXSA1mu 38g3erlVvpWcCQdERyCVmCcDrDC5r=s0

5. Normani

Normani looked like an absolute goddess at the Met Gala. She herself even said, “I feel like black girl magic,” and she absolutely did! Normani wore a Valentino yellow-colored gown with diamond and sapphire jewelry. I was so obsessed with her outfit and I think she looked truly remarkable. 

erUY5mlr2SJ9OOqA7eF6nKWjFWFrfukVXXAEphMa7gAuWL VgwD1Z9pBTqpvK n1 ykXXbhjCtvP ykwgI8Jn1LJfykcezxVsRlDy0xQqPqdxFxoj yFKUSLCR kSeovIIh0kvbq=s0

4. Emma Chamberlain

Coming in at number 4 is the fashion icon herself, Emma Chamberlain. I am obsessed with Emma and think her ability to create trends in the fashion industry is insane. She wore a glittery Louis Vuittton prom-like dress and she looked exquisite. When describing her dress, she said, “This has been my best friend for the past 48 hours.”

B5jZaZFEL q PknzY5jo43GKwnR8RpVT57SB3o5ZjJ4FZ1Qr y3mb G4SBg66 rI1 yWxfO975kDqLnNVR88okkIDG36 3X7mjGAOdLSDqN4r W9xqf4PXD EmOgFv4e1K41zzDc=s0

3. Kendall Jenner

Finally, my top 3! Kendall Jenner received my bronze medal, coming in 3rd place. Jenner wore a sheer Givenchy gown and looked hot as hell! Jenner took such a unique twist on the American theme and alluded to the iconic Audrey Hepburn in “My Fair Lady.”  Kendall looked just like Audrey Hepburn and I think no one could pull this look off the way that she could!

YOBnsQERIPE rdaW f43P9FnldbB4ZpOxcY9BFTvTNVbRra6 rMv1AqE1m5UT0I1pj0lWOSYcc KadqqT1p0FLw1vuONPO5 CUg7WmcjPesYkq5Vu4UfOdq6lANT18V2 wpkRZH5=s0

2. Billie Eillish

YES! MY SECOND FAVORITE OVERALL LOOK! Billie Eillish looked amazing in her beautiful Oscar de la Renta gown. Eillish played homage to the iconic Marilyn Monroe and she looked dazzling as ever. This was Eillish’s first Met Gala and I think she had one of the best outfits of the night. At first, Billie was hesitant about wearing a designer dress to the Met Gala because she is vegan. She told Oscar de la Renta designers that she would only wear one of their gowns if it was fur free. Due to this request, ALL of Oscar de la Renta dresses will be fur free in the future. Go Billie for making a positive change and looking stunning while doing it!

PL8Ifzv0HXs9 lQ60 ipx tz CJXpt4TjlJ8QnuDpFmB8k9AJBQYrJzwGH0T99OGNFDOihFI47COGi3hOthDo0

1. Lil nas x

And drum roll please…my overall favorite look (or should I say LOOKS) was from… Lil Nas X! He totally slayed all three of these looks and looked like an actual king. It was his first time attending the Met Gala and all three looks were incredibly regal and elegant. I totally loved all the different shades of gold and my favorite was the elegant gold coat. Even though it was his first Met Gala, I think he totally had the best outfit(s)! YES KING, GAY ICON!

RhmtAn6MV8gEK mwo15BQ6

(WINNER!!)

Hey y'all! My name is Rachel Bellamy and I am a freshman at NC State. I'm majoring in psychology and minoring in journalism. I love to thrift, go to coffee shops, and I love the outdoors.