My Takeaways From Paris Couture Fashion Week 2023

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Celebs from all over the world touched down in Paris, France, for Couture Fashion Week, flocking from show to show looking as cool as ever, watching priceless pieces of art strut down the runway like it was any other week. And I thoroughly enjoyed watching it from home. Couture, without a doubt, is my favorite sector of fashion, so I was very excited to see all of the looks and collections from this year’s displays. With that being said, here are a few takeaways from Couture Fashion Week 2023

Daniel Roseberry’s Wild Ride

The most controversial collection at Couture Week came from Schiaparelli’s Daniel Roseberry. For his collection, he combined animals and fashion in a way that has never been seen before. Three of the looks in this collection consisted of animal heads attached to the outfits, but the kicker is they are completely handmade and did not involve real animals. This caused a massive outrage from animal rights supporters who claimed the collection promoted game hunting, to which Roseberry replied, saying that the animals were FAKE and meant to do the opposite. The pieces are extremely intricate and handcrafted, and I think although the looks aren’t practical, they are stunning.

Doja Cat’s Schiaparelli Sparkle

Schiaparelli was the talk of the town, not only because of the striking collection but because of the actual show attendees. Singer Doja Cat showed up covered in 30,000 red Swarovski crystals designed by Roseberry. He tapped famed celebrity makeup artist Pat McGrath to construct the look, and it was something else. I can’t help but think how she took it off and if she left a trail of red crystals behind her.

Viktor & Rolf’s Illusionary Masterpieces

One of my favorite collections was Viktor & Rolf’s. This entire collection is unlike anything I have ever seen, and it truly showcased a new wave of creativity, no matter how unorthodox the designs are. Each look that came down the runway showcased dresses worn everywhere except normally.. What I mean by this is that some dresses were upside down, inhibiting the model from seeing, some were sideways, and some were diagonal. All were exquisite. The designs are obviously not practical but I love them from an artistic standpoint. 

Timothée Chalamet’s Sunglasses

Making surprise appearances at multiple shows, actor Timothée Chalamet showed up, kept the sunglasses on, and looked insanely cool while doing it. Whenever Chalamet goes to a fashion show, he typically wears his sunglasses. He showed up at the Loewe show with his Bones and All director Luca Guadigno and castmate Taylor Russell. Then he showed up at the Jean Paul Gaultier for his friend, designer Haider Ackermann’s couture debut, where he sat between director Baz Luhrmann and legendary French actress Catherine Deneuve. 

Haider Ackermann: King of Couture

What a debut! Haider Ackermann is the new creative director for the Jean Paul Gaultier Couture department and did not disappoint. The looks he debuted were what I think of when I think of couture. They were extravagant and elegant while being simple and over the top. I am utterly obsessed and cannot wait to see what more he has in store. 

Cameron Crews is the president of Her Campus at NC State. She is responsible for publishing all articles, leading meetings, encouraging all staff, and overseeing the entire chapter. This is her third year on Her Campus and her second year as President. Outside of Her Campus, Cameron was the Editor-in-Chief of her high school’s yearbook, which she helped lead to being awarded the best book in the entire state and honored at Columbia University’s scholastic journalism awards. She worked as an intern at Southpark Magazine in Charlotte, NC, where she edited articles, conducted interviews, and assisted the editors. In the Summer of 2023, she attended Regents University in London, England, where she took fashion classes from high players in the fashion industry who have worked with the likes of Andy Warhol, Alexander McQueen, Christian Siriano, and more. She also had the opportunity to interview Brendan Fraser immediately after he won his “Best Actor” Oscar at the 2023 Academy Awards. She is a junior at NC State University majoring in Communications with a minor in Journalism. After graduation, she hopes to move to New York, LA, Paris, or London and work in the fashion industry as either a fashion editor or celebrity stylist. Cameron was born and raised in Charlotte, NC, with her younger brother and dog, George Bailey. She enjoys shopping, watching movies, listening to music, writing, hanging out with friends, and traveling in her free time. She is a huge Taylor Swift and Harry Styles fan and has seen them both in concert multiple times. She is also a huge Timothee Chalamet aficionado and is a huge movie fan–with some of her favorites being Once Upon A Time…In Hollywood, Barbie, Lady Bird, the Breakfast Club, and Breakfast at Tiffany’s.