This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

As a film major, I watch a lot of movies, and I mean A LOT. Over the years of watching different genres, I’ve come to learn that my favorite films are often the ones that make you think. Bonus points if they’re dark and have some sort of mystery involved. The problem with this is that these types of films have been done over and over again, without really any difference in character development, or even sometimes the story. It gets old to watch a film where you can easily guess the ending, and where there are no twists and turns to keep you engaged. So I’ve watched all of the good (and bad) ones for you so that you don’t have to. Next time you want to watch a movie and really think about what’s happening, shoot for one of these. Here’s my list of favorite movies that’ll get your gears turning, and why I love them so much. 

Note: Some of these films contain mature content that may not be suited for all audiences. 

Secret in their Eyes

A film with Julia Roberts and Nicole Kidman is sure to not disappoint. This 2015 film is an American remake of a 2009 Argentinian film. The story follows an FBI agent who discovers her teenage daughter murdered as they attempt to find her killer. This story is a slow burn, but I’ve never seen a plot twist done so well. Tackling the original idea of “whodunnit” this film creates an elaborate story that will keep you guessing until the very last ten minutes, and then you’ll likely be sitting with your jaw dropped as the credits roll. This film holds a special place in my heart, as it was one of the movies that made me want to major in film, because it’s truly an artistic masterpiece. 

Arrival

If you like sci-fi films, this is the one for you. A linguist played by Amy Adams is tasked with helping the US military after a group of space pods lands on locations around the world. This film definitely makes the gears in your head turn as we watch them try and figure out a way to communicate. A close watch (or two) of this film is necessary to fully understand the themes behind this film, but it’s certainly worth it. Showing both how the entire world is important, as well as how individual lives matter as well. Playing with my favorite element in films, time, this one certainly does it well. 

Inception

What would a list of mind-bending films be without a Christopher Nolan film on it? Inception follows a group of people who are attempting to plant an idea in the mind of someone, doing so by entering into their dreams. Going down many levels of dreams, this film often makes you question which reality the characters are in, up until the very end of the film. Not only does it make you question reality, but it also shows the importance of how personal and professional lives interact. Currently streaming on Netflix.

Identity

This film from the early 2000s is one that won’t disappoint. Struggling during a major storm, 10 people find themselves all at a motel. When one after another, people start to die, the group is pitted against each other until the end. If this story sounds familiar to you, that’s probably because Agatha Christi wrote a novel titled And then there were None which authors and directors alike fell in love with. Many versions of this have been created, and Identity is my favorite film version. If you’re into reading books and love, the niche storyline Ten by Gretchen McNeil would be right up your alley.  This film takes on a classic story, and adds layers to it, so many that the revelation of who the killer is isn’t the most exciting part of the film. As with most, the major plot twist comes at the end. A piece of advice if you want to get ahead of the twist, don’t forget what happens in the opening scene. 

Shutter Island

Another film that arguably could’ve won DiCaprio an Oscar, but sadly did not. Shutter Island follows two U.S. Marshalls to a secluded island where a government mental institution is located. They’re tasked with finding a patient who has recently escaped, but as they spend more time on the island, they realize that the institution may not be what it seems it is. Twists and turns can be found all throughout this film, and it leaves you guessing who to trust. Martin Scorsese hasn’t disappointed me with a film yet, and this might be my favorite of his. Currently streaming on Netflix.

Hey everyone! I'm Savannah and I'm a senior at State! I'm double majoring in psychology and film studies, and work for a film data analytics company! In my free time you can find me going on walks, listening to podcasts and trying out new recipes!
Junior at NCSU majoring in Communication Media Lover of strawberry ice cream and classic rock VP of Her Campus NCSU