This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Last week was a very difficult week for me if I’m being honest; amongst other things (thank you, Mercury, for being in retrograde) my family and I had to put down my 17-year-old miniature poodle. Her name was Mattie and we got her when I was just two, so I basically don’t know life without her. We all knew that this day was approaching. For the past few months, she was beginning to get very skinny, losing teeth, going completely blind and deaf, and just slept 24/7. Seeing her go through this was not easy, because in my mind she was still the young, happy, energetic puppy I grew up with. And while I knew this day was coming I didn’t want to accept it. I mean, who wants to accept the fact that dogs die and we have to continue on without them? So, we as a whole family knew that it was time and took her to the vet. I held her in my lap the entire time on the way there just sobbing because I knew this was going to be her last hour and she had no idea. After everything took place I carried her until it was time we had to bury her. Now that was probably the hardest part, knowing that I won’t see her again happy and full of life. Then as a family one by one we helped put the dirt over her box and made some markings out of sticks in the mud for her. Now, this actually helped me and my family all come together and come to terms with what just happened. And as sad as it was that this had to take place, we all bonded through this experience of loss. After we buried her we took turns talking about our favorite memories of her throughout her life and why she was the best family dog for us. And although I’m sitting here sobbing writing about her and the life she lived, I also know it’s healthy to sit down to remember and mourn her. So, if you have ever gone through a similar experience or you know you’re gonna have to one day, just remember that talking about it with your family and with others that have gone through the same thing is one of the best ways to come to terms with it and grow from it. 

Hi everyone, my name is Roxie and I'm from Charlotte, NC! I'm a junior majoring in marketing and minoring in art and design. I love dancing, spending time outdoors, baking, and drawing/creating. I've always loved the creative freedom that comes with writing and I'm so excited to be a part of Her Campus!