Little Switzerland: Hidden Road trip Gem in North Carolina

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Last month I saw so many people on social media taking trips to the Blue Ridge Parkway and other mountains in North Carolina to see the leaves changing. Most of the colors peaked around late October but I’m still in need of a road trip with some friends! So, if you happened to miss seeing the fall foliage in the mountains, there’s still another great trip you can take before the end of the year!

There’s a town in North Carolina’s High Country that goes by the name of Little Switzerland. It’s known as the Jewel of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The small-town vibe and architecture were made to make you feel like you’re truly in the Swiss Alps! Visiting Little Switzerland during November will give you a taste of the mountain’s perfect transition from fall to winter. Even though the leaves have already changed, they will be setting up holiday decorations, and if you’re lucky, you may see some snow!

There are so many cute shops to visit in Little Switzerland, including my favorite, Books and Beans. This three-story bookstore with a coffee and espresso bar holds the Artisan League Gallery upstairs. 

Emerald Village is a group of 12 historic mines where you can take a tour of the mines, choose a gem bucket, and have anything you find made into beautiful jewelry. 

If you’re wanting to shop around, the Switzerland General Store and Little Switzerland Trading Co. are located at the heart of downtown where you can shop for souvenirs and boutique clothing. There are also many more shops located in the Switzerland Inn, one of the inns and lodging options in town. 

A trip to Little Switzerland during late fall would be a perfect getaway to a small town with friends, family, or a significant other. Just imagine drinking coffee or hot chocolate while walking through such a scenic town. This hidden gem in North Carolina is definitely worth checking off the bucket list. 

Kelsey Griswold is a writer for Her Campus at NC State University. She is responsible for writing articles, attending meetings, and collaborating with the team to conduct photoshoots. This is her first year in Her Campus. Before Her Campus, Kelsey was a member of her high school's student council for four years. She worked alongside her club members to plan events, build the school's community outreach, and fundraise for new events. Kelsey was elected secretary in her junior year where she was in charge of keeping the club's minutes, creating the agenda for each meeting, and ensuring those tasks were completed. In senior year she was elected Student Body President where she was responsible for conducting meetings, guiding the planning of school wide and community events, and making sure every member felt heard. Now, she is a freshman at NC State majoring in business administration, with a hope to concentrate in finance. Kelsey was born and raised in Charlotte, North Carolina. Off campus she enjoys shopping, spending time with friends and family, being outdoors, and listening to music. She is passionate about helping others and enjoying everything the world has to offer. After graduation she hopes to become a project manager, but most importantly, she hopes to travel as much as possible and spend time with loved ones.