The Legend That Will Never be Forgotten: Joe Paterno

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Joe Paterno passed away Sunday after battling with lung cancer that seemed to take a 360 degree turn and became life threatening. The man called all his family members and friends to gather around because he knew it was his time to go. It was a sad way for this man to go, especially with the latest news about Penn State and what has gone all around the campus. 

Joe Paterno coached his last season at Penn State and its hard not to believe that everything that happened and surrounded him, had to take some effect on the man down the stretch. Coach Paterno was not only the head coach of Penn State football for 46 years, he was not only the coach with the most wins (409 wins overall), but he was also a teacher, a motivator, and a man that had inspired so many to what the game is today. He has sculpted many young men into great men and has led the way for coaches of generations after to learn and lead just like he did.

I want to say that people will remember what Joe Paterno did for the college sports and sports in general and they all want to lead their teams on the field, just like he did. However, I feel like that might be hard to ask from everyone because of what has happened in recent events, which I feel bad that his life had to end that way. Paterno, I will always remember how you have changed the game, even though you stuck to your guns in many cases when it comes to football and players, which is something we all can admire. I wish I could have learned just a little from this man and had the chance to meet him. Furthermore, anyone who did, remember those times and take in what he said because we all could follow in the way he lived his life just a little bit. R.I.P Coach, you shall be missed.

Want more sports? Check out Patrick’s Sports Blog

Campus Correspondent and Founder of Her Campus NCSU - kristiedemers@hercampus.com Kristie Demers is a Senior English major at North Carolina State University. When she isn't studying or busy working on campus, Kristie enjoys running, writing, reading, photography, and painting. She volunteered as an athletic trainer for the Cheerleading team freshman year and developed an unwavering devotion for the Wolfpack. This Wisconsin natives passions include traveling, spending time with family and friends, and loving even the little things in life. Although she is down to earth and loves making people smile, Kristie is hard working and welcomes challenges. All that this happy-go-lucky girl dreams for the future is to write for a magazine and live at the beach. In the meantime, her heart lies in the bricks at N.C. State and beats with every chime of the Bell Tower!