Leaves are Falling and Autumn Movies are Calling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Pumpkin spice latte season is officially underway! It is prime time for warm apple cider, soup, sweaters, and cozy movies to get you in the autumn spirit. Of course, Gilmore Girls is the epitome of all things Fall, but if you are looking to snuggle up for a date night, low-key girls’ evening, or solo-chill night, look no further. Whether you’re in the mood for autumn in New York, prep school vibes, or some spooky season favorites, you can find all that and more. No one can deny that Dead Poets Society and Hocus Pocus provide autumnal and nostalgic warm fuzzies, but hopefully, you can discover some new treasures this season.

1. When Harry Met Sally

Meg Ryan is the queen of romantic comedies; it’s only appropriate that she ushers in the season with a familiar favorite. From her style to the comfort of her movies, When Harry Met Sally takes us on a journey from summer, fall, and winter that make you want a cup of tea and whatever she’s having at the diner.

2. Mona Lisa Smile

The all-girls school Wellesley College embraces the academic aesthetic and an old-school charm to explore the essence of art and meaning in life from the one and only Julia Roberts as the inspirational Katherine Watson.

3. Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Lily James plays a London-based writer who begins exchanging letters and books with inhabitants of Guernsey. It doesn’t take long for her to join them for a proper potato peel pie and book club. The eclectic group forges ties over handcrafted tea, wine, and literary pieces that help them recuperate from the German occupation and embrace new adventures on and off the page.

4. Jane Austen Book Club

As they traverse life, love, and unexpected friendships, six friends read and discuss classic Jane Austen novels that coincide with their journeys. Nothing says autumn quite like a book club, steaming tea, and mysterious, fog-bending love interests which lead the characters to an unexpected romance.

5. Christopher Robin and Goodbye Christopher Robin

The London backdrop and exploration of the 100-acre woods evoke all the nostalgia and comfort associated with Winnie the Pooh and Friends. The films are a gentle and touching reminder about the value of companionship and relishing the time we share. Bundle up your snuggle buddies and bring a box of tissues for these heartwarming stories.

6. You’ve got Mail

Falling leaves, a shop around the corner, and a tall decaf cappuccino to top everything off are the perfect combination for another autumn staple. Tom Hanks, NY152, and Meg Ryan, Shopgirl, form an unlikely friendship via online mail chats. Their conversations range from Pride and Prejudice to practical applications of the Godfather philosophy. A bundle of warmth and butterflies creates an ideal experience for a cozy, fall rom-com.

7. Autumn in New York

In Autumn, an unlikely pair falls in love when star chef Richard Geere is enamored by Winona Ryder, a young, imaginative romantic eager to explore all of life’s beauties. Are you ready for a good cry? Look no further than this New York City love story set against a dazzling fall setting.

8. Knives Out

A classic whodunit packed with eccentric characters and iconic mystery references. Set in a Clue Board Mansion with an iconic chunky knit sweater, the design and cinematography immerse you in the autumnal Boston landscape. Jamie Lee Curtis, the reigning Halloween queen, joins an all-star cast that will make us laugh while sparking suspicion about everyone’s intentions and sanity.

9. Clue

It was a dark and stormy night. Six guests, of whom you know their names, experienced a less than conventional dinner party when the host was murdered. Blackmail, deception, and intrigue leave viewers questioning if Colonel Mustard did it in the dining room with a candlestick!

10. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Take a flight with Buckbeak and feel the autumn breeze on your face as you soar into the wizarding world. Complete with knit sweaters, owls, a beautiful and not at all threatening whomping willow, and pumpkin juice! Join the golden trio on the third exhilarating, time-bending journey full of magic and mystery.

11. St. Elmo’s Fire

The 80s coming-of-age classic with familiar faces of Demi Moore and Rob Lowe is perfect for reminiscing on all our college memories. Seven friends navigate life after graduation, conquering the ups and downs of growing up. Complete with vintage sweaters, travel around New England, and the ultimate soundtrack for car rides with the windows down.

12. School Ties

Leaf-covered walkways along an east coast prep school exude dark academia style. Sports enthusiasts will appreciate the football season, school spirit, and camaraderie represented. The familiar faces of Brendan Frasier, Matt Damon, Chris O’Donnell, and Ben Affleck traverse identity and friendship.

Katy Masden, a summa cum laude graduate of NC State with a degree in Business Marketing. Her academic journey is a fusion of creative extracurricular activities and an insatiable wanderlust spirit, both of which have ignited her aspirations within the field of marketing. Her goal is to collaborate with innovative magazines and fashion companies that share her unwavering enthusiasm for pioneering ideas. As an active member of the American Marketing Association, Katy is eager to connect with industry leaders, recognizing the immense value of networking and shared insights to drive innovation within the marketing and global business landscape. Post-graduation, her ambition is global, with a desire to travel and cultivate diverse ideas into innovative campaigns. She is eager to immerse herself in the dynamic world of creative direction, forging cross-cultural collaborations and pushing the limits of marketing.