It’s Amy Dunne Season…So Watch Gone Girl (Again)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Is it controversial to say that Amy Dunne is the ultimate girlboss? If it is, I don’t really care because it’s true. When the air gets crisp, the sun sets earlier, and the days get cloudy, I feel the need to cozy up and watch Gone Girl. Even though the film takes place during a hot Missouri summer, the movie just screams autumn to me.

For those that haven’t seen it (watch it seriously), Gone Girl was originally a book released in 2012 written by Gillian Flynn (author of Sharp Objects). In 2014, it was adapted into a movie by thriller legend David Fincher (Fight Club, Se7en, and Zodiac), and boy did he do the story justice. Starring Rosamund Pike as the titular “Gone Girl,” Amy Dunne, and Ben Affleck as her husband, Nick. 

STOP READING IF YOU DON’T WANT GONE GIRL SPOILED!!!

–*SPOILERS AHEAD READ AT YOUR OWN RISK*–

The story of Nick and Amy Dunne is a simple one. They meet, fall in love, get married and move to Missouri where Nick is from. Throw in some money troubles and infidelity on Nick’s part, and you have a miserable Amy. Add in a recession and job layoffs and the once happy couple, is not so happy anymore. Then comes their fifth wedding anniversary, and Amy goes missing and all signs are pointing towards Nick. The entire country becomes enthralled with the case of Amy Dunne and Nick is eventually arrested for her murder. The catch is, Amy isn’t dead, she isn’t even missing. She faked her own death and framed Nick for making her life miserable.

Now obviously this is an insane thing to do and totally illegal. Amy shows no remorse for her husband and even has to murder a lifelong friend along the way to keep her “death” a secret. In the grand scheme of things, Amy was a genius. Not because she committed these crimes, but by the way she executed them, and dare I say it was flawless (until it wasn’t). She was quick on her feet and knew exactly what to do to further this lie and cover her tracks. Her husband took everything from her and the only way to get him back in her sick and twisted mind was to fake her own death and frame him for the murder. No big deal. 

Now I am using the term “girlboss” in a metaphorical way here. I am in no way condoning framing people for your own murder just to get revenge. All I am saying is that she was sick and tired of being taken advantage of and wanted to seek revenge and show everyone that they better not mess with her again and that is why I am calling her a girlboss. Once again, not specifically for what she did, but the reasoning behind why she did it. Her husband stole from her, cheated on her, neglected her, and ignored her and he thought she should stay with him? Hell no. 

I can’t talk about Amy Dunne without talking about her absolutely iconic “Cool Girl” monologue that she recites as the audience finds out that she is still alive. The way Rosamund Pike delivers it is flawless, and everything she says is pretty much true. She changed herself and changed herself to be someone her husband might like, only for him to turn on her in the end. Everytime I hear it, I get chills.

If you haven’t watched or read Gone Girl, I highly highly highly recommend. It is a fascinating watch and such an entertaining read that you won’t ever forget. 

Cameron Crews is the president of Her Campus at NC State. She is responsible for publishing all articles, leading meetings, encouraging all staff, and overseeing the entire chapter. This is her third year on Her Campus and her second year as President. Outside of Her Campus, Cameron was the Editor-in-Chief of her high school’s yearbook, which she helped lead to being awarded the best book in the entire state and honored at Columbia University’s scholastic journalism awards. She worked as an intern at Southpark Magazine in Charlotte, NC, where she edited articles, conducted interviews, and assisted the editors. In the Summer of 2023, she attended Regents University in London, England, where she took fashion classes from high players in the fashion industry who have worked with the likes of Andy Warhol, Alexander McQueen, Christian Siriano, and more. She also had the opportunity to interview Brendan Fraser immediately after he won his “Best Actor” Oscar at the 2023 Academy Awards. She is a junior at NC State University majoring in Communications with a minor in Journalism. After graduation, she hopes to move to New York, LA, Paris, or London and work in the fashion industry as either a fashion editor or celebrity stylist. Cameron was born and raised in Charlotte, NC, with her younger brother and dog, George Bailey. She enjoys shopping, watching movies, listening to music, writing, hanging out with friends, and traveling in her free time. She is a huge Taylor Swift and Harry Styles fan and has seen them both in concert multiple times. She is also a huge Timothee Chalamet aficionado and is a huge movie fan–with some of her favorites being Once Upon A Time…In Hollywood, Barbie, Lady Bird, the Breakfast Club, and Breakfast at Tiffany’s.