Indy, Lorde’s younger sister, releases debut single “Threads”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

India Yelich-O’Connor, better known by her stage name “Indy,” or more commonly known as the younger sister of Lorde, has dipped her toes into the music industry with her debut single “Threads.”

Upon first listen, the singer sounds eerily similar to her older sister. Obviously this is far from a bad thing; they both have beautifully unique and captivating voices; it just so happened to be the very first thing I picked up on. The first time you hear her voice on the line “I would rather go to space,” immediately reminded me of early Lorde music. In conversation with Nylon magazine, Yelich expresses her gratitude for having a sister in the music industry who has provided her help and given her advice, all while noting that they are entirely separate entities.

In conversation with Rolling Stone, Yelich describes the song as “a passionate argument, miscommunication, the excitement of New York City nightlife. A toxic, messy love affair.” She says it depicts what “being in love at 23 feels like; chaotic, hopeful, passionate.” All of what Indy is saying is true. The song transports you to the middle of a messy relationship in a big city. 

Indy began her writing career as a poet, her ability to craft beautiful metaphors and compelling stories shining through in this song. The lyricism paired with her voice is absolutely beautiful. The line “gave you all my younger days while the lines grow on your face” immediately became my favorite from the song.

The production of the music is very reminiscent of Jack Antonoff’s work on her older sister’s sophomore album “Melodrama,” which I absolutely love. Many times the song began to remind me of the song “Supercut” on this album; the bridges of both songs sonically sounding similar. This causes absolutely no complaints from me. I would argue that “Supercut” is one of the best songs of our generation.

In all honesty, I didn’t think I would enjoy the song as much as I did. I simply brushed it off as Yelich wanting to make it big after watching her older sister’s success, but the song truly is good. You can tell where she took notes of inspiration from her sister. I cannot wait for Indy to begin to find her voice in the music industry and see what comes next from her.

Ava Stewart is the current Vice President of Her Campus at North Carolina State University. She loves to write about all things pop culture for the site, especially music. She is a true fangirl at heart which is heavily reflected through her writing. In addition to writing and publishing articles, she is in charge of overseeing the entire chapter and ensuring it runs smoothly. This is her third year as a member of Her Campus and second year serving as Vice President. She is currently a junior studying communication media studies, journalism and English at NCSU. In the summer of 2023, she briefly lived in London, England, taking literature and film classes to expand her background in reading and writing. She would love to go back to London after graduation. Ava was raised in Waxhaw, North Carolina, a town just outside of Charlotte. When she’s not writing for Her Campus, Ava loves listening to music, spending time with friends and traveling for concerts. She is a Harry Styles and Taylor Swift superfan and loves to find some way to incorporate the two of them in everything that she does. Her favorite Taylor Swift era is 1989 and she cannot live a day without listening to it.