Style > Beauty

I dyed my hair pink, and here’s what you need to know before you dye yours

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

After seeing one too many Pinterest posts of fun colored-hair styles, I recently made the impulsive decision of dying my hair. Although I’m not in any way a professional when it comes to coloring hair, I learned a few things from this little experiment that I wish I would’ve known before dying at home. 

First of all, I have fairly blonde hair, but not by any means platinum, so when I chose to buy Arctic Fox’s Frosé temporary hair dyer, I should’ve known the result would be dependant on the tone of my hair before the dyeing process. On most websites that sell hair dye, there’s a chart for each color showing the before and after on different hair colors from darker to lighter. While I expected the pink color to be a bit more vibrant, my orangish tone prior to the dye definitely muted the pink a bit. If you’re planning to dye at home and you’re looking for the brightest result, I recommend bleaching and toning your hair before dying. 

Second, to make your color last longer, try giving your hair a quick blow dry before rinsing. I learned soon after a few showers that my color would have lasted longer if I had left the dye in for longer – at least over an hour – and if I had applied some heat before rinsing. I have a friend who used the exact same dye who used heat in the process, and her hair color lasted at least two weeks longer than mine, which has faded out within three weeks. 

Lastly, if you’re on the fence about dying your hair, I highly recommend using this brand of dye; it’s a great way to play with color and decide what you think looks good on you (plus it’s not crazy expensive). Personally, I figured out I loved the way the color looked with my skin tone, even though my experience didn’t go perfectly. 

There’s such a wide variety of colors out there. Try out something new for the summer with these tips in mind, and have fun finding your signature hairstyle!

Hi my name's Sofia and I'm from Asheville, North Carolina. I'm a freshman at NC State studying communication and French.
Junior at NCSU majoring in Communication Media Lover of strawberry ice cream and classic rock VP of Her Campus NCSU