body images 2019 11 01 3D7ABDC0 BB45 4915 B6B4 E445481E6EA1JPG?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 11 01 3D7ABDC0 BB45 4915 B6B4 E445481E6EA1JPG?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to make your first-time cooking in an apartment EASY

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Here’s a little backstory about myself, a little over a month ago I moved into an apartment. This made it easy for me to stay close to campus this year, without having to go home. Before I left for college, I never really learned how to cook, nor was I very interested in learning. Needless to say, when I moved into my first apartment, it was quite a journey learning how to cook for the first time. Here I will share three of my favorite apartment cooking tips and tricks that are perfect for the busy life of a college student.

USE A CROCKPOT!!!

I use my crockpot for almost every meal that we have because it is a magical pot. I put chicken and marinade and whatever else I’m cooking in there in the morning and cook it on low all day and it is perfect for eating by dinner time. PRO TIP: use crockpot liners so that there is no messy cleanup!

Make use of your tin foil, ladies!

As you can probably tell, I am not the kind of gal who likes washing dishes (not even in the dishwasher). Whenever I am baking in the oven or using a sheet pan, I make sure to layer it with tin foil so that the pan does NOT get dirty at all!

Invest in an Air Fryer

If you do not have an Air Fryer, it is 100% worth the investment! Like I said I am not anything special at all when it comes to cooking. However, having an air fryer makes cooking so much easier and it’s a quick and healthier alternative for any fast meal.

If you’ve had at least a month of cooking experience, then these tips are probably way past you. However, if cooking for yourself is new to you and you are completely lost like I was, I hope these helped! Have fun!

Current NC State student from Smithfield, NC and double majoring in Sports Management and Communication.
Junior at NCSU majoring in Communication Media Lover of strawberry ice cream and classic rock VP of Her Campus NCSU