This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Let’s dare to talk about the hard stuff – the stuff that makes us uncomfortable and the stuff we all too often turn our eyes from. Are you up for the challenge? 

I want to take just a moment from your day to talk about human trafficking. Unfortunately, this is one of those topics that doesn’t get the attention it deserves. It makes people uncomfortable and because of this, so few are aware of the issue and even fewer are educated on it. 

Human trafficking is a huge problem our world is facing today. It is an issue that preys on the vulnerable and weak and allows for criminals to profit over $150 billion every year. Did you know that there are more women and children in slavery today than were taken out of Africa throughout the entire trans-atlantic slave trade? That’s insane. There is more slavery today than our world has seen in hundreds of years and no one is talking about it. Experts also estimate  that one of every five girls will experience some form of sexual abuse throughout her lifetime. Many developing countries lack the justice systems to protect the poor and vulnerable and bring criminals to justice.

International  Justice Mission is a global organization dedicated to ending human slavery in our lifetime by rescuing and restoring victims, bringing criminals to justice, and strengthening justice systems. They do work in Asia, South America, Europe, Africa, Australia, United States, and Canada. To rescue victims, they work with local law enforcement to free those in bondage and bring them to safety. After rescue comes restoration. This is so important because without it, many victims fall back into slavery. In order to help restore victims, IJM works alongside social workers to provide counseling, education, and skills training. IJM also partners with local  police to capture criminals and bring them to justice, restraining them from harming others. Lastly, IJM works to strengthen justice systems by identifying gaps in the law that allow the poor to be taken advantage of. They work with law enforcement and the court systems to address those problems. 

The work that International Justice Mission does is so important because there is a huge emphasis on education and advocacy. When the hard stuff is talked about, that’s when real change can come about. So please join us and RAISE YOUR VOICE!

For more information on International Justice Mission, please visit their website at www.ijm.org

Instagram: 

@ijm

@ijm.ncstate

Facebook:

@ IJM at NC State

Victoria Schenck is a sophomore at NCSU majoring in Psychology and Communications and minoring in Anthropology. She is involved in leadership in NC State's chapter of International Justice Mission and is passionate about advocating for human rights.
Hi! My name is Isabella Castineyra, I am a senior majoring in communication media with minors in journalism and criminology. I am from Boston originally, so I am all for Boston sports teams (go Pats)! I love taking naps, listening to Billy Joel, and rewatching the same shows over and over again. Go Pack!!