This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

All my fellow creatives know what I’m saying when I say that an art block can be one of the most frustrating and difficult things to get over. Throughout highschool I would get into these seasons where I would not know what to create next and I felt like I was failing as an artist. So, I’m here to give you my best tips and tricks on how to get over these annoying creative blocks so you can get back to creating what you want. 

Get uncomfortable and switch up your media

I’m not going to lie, this tip always helped me when I was stuck. My go-to media is always either acrylic or graphite. When I got to that stuck stage I would switch it up and play with watercolors or even go throw something on the pottery wheel. I know it can be scary to work with a media you’re unfamiliar with and think you’re “bad” at, but this can really help open that creative side to your mind and get things flowing again. 

Change where you create

I know for me that I get tired of working in the same place project after project and it begins to feel repetitive. To avoid this try switching it up and creating something outside, go painting with your friends in the park, or even get on the floor to switch up the constant of being at your desk.

Understand it’s okay to get inspiration from other artists

It’s a natural feeling as an artist to not want to look up inspiration for their project in fear they will be copying another artist’s work. But when in an art block it’s perfectly fine to see what others are doing that is similar to the project you’re working on, it can spark something in you that might finally get you out of your own head. I did this all the time in high school and it helped me find new ways to create things that I would have never thought of before on my own, so search the internet and find that inspo that you need. 

Get the blood flowing to your brain

This was one thing I loved to do when I got stuck on a project, I would get up to search for a fun dance workout or HIIT workout and take my mind off my project. Getting up and moving can get your blood flowing and can release stress in a healthy way. Who knows maybe you can spark a new idea while getting that sweat in. 

These are my top four tips that I use as an artist to get me out of an art block. If you come across a time where your creative side seems to be struggling, I encourage you to try these tricks and hopefully something inside you will switch and that block will magically disappear! 

Junior at NCSU majoring in Communication Media Lover of strawberry ice cream and classic rock VP of Her Campus NCSU