How do we feel about Colleen Hoover’s “It Ends With Us” cast?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

If you’re a fan of Colleen Hoover, you know how exciting this casting reveal was. It Ends With Us was one of the first books of Colleen Hoover’s that I read and let me just say, I was hooked immediately.  If it’s a spicy romance novel, I’m already on it. Hoover delivers just that. This book got so much love that she even wrote a sequel called It Starts With Us.

In 2022, Hoover announced that It Ends With Us is getting its very own movie.  We all know that movies are never as good as the books but I have high hopes for this one.  Justin Baldoni is directing it and if you have seen anything he has directed or acted in, you know it’s good.  I personally know him from Jane the Virgin, and I have been obsessed with his work ever since.  On January 27th, Hoover posted on her socials that she and Baldoni finally put together a cast for this movie.  

Here is who she announced will be our Lily Bloom and Ryle Kincaid.  I honestly don’t know how to feel about it and I’ll tell you why.

Lily Bloom will be played by Blake Lively
Photo of Blake Lively

Now don’t get me wrong, I LOVE Blake Lively.  Her acting in Gossip Girl is what got me hooked to begin with.  Her later work in The Age of Adeline was also a phenomenal piece of art.  However, she’s not exactly who I pictured to play Lily Bloom and other fans seem to agree.  Many are saying they wanted a younger actress with red hair.  I don’t think age is a big issue as Lively can pass for the character’s age.  Although, I will say I was also expecting a red-haired actress as it was such a prominent and characteristic of Lily Bloom.  Either way, I’m confident Blake Lively will deliver what she needs to deliver as she always does.

Ryle Kincaid will be played by Justin Baldoni
Photo of Justin Baldoni

Again, I love Justin Baldoni, but he’s not who I pictured for Ryle.  However, I am starting to warm up to the idea of it.  His performance in Jane the Virgin does give Ryle potential.  Ryle is someone who is arrogant, stubborn and secretly a softy when it comes to Lily.  Baldoni is fun, energetic and hard-working; he’s more than capable of being in this role.

As unexpecting as this cast release was, I can’t help but be excited. There is no current release date so be on the lookout for more news.

Colleen Hoover’s cast announcement for “It Ends With Us”
Hi!! My name is Annabella and I’m a junior majoring in Communication with a concentration in Public Relations and minors in Journalism and Business Administration. I love music, writing, hiking, reading, and traveling!