Her Voice: Finding the Yellow Brick Road

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.
“Finding the Yellow Brick Road”
by Kara Schmieg

It feels good to breathe again

Didn’t know how far I’d left until I came back to mend
Was hurt by the world and left to grow
Didn’t know much where to go

I have all this hurt that’s been left in me
I’m slowly trying to release it free
Was so hard on myself for the world’s assaults
Starting to realize it was not my fault

I took the pain and added some more
How do you move on when your world has been torn?
I am learning forgiveness and understanding it slow
It’s important for me to take my time and grow

Grow with happiness and walk away from the pain
Forgive the world and do not blame
Look past its faults and understand its intentions
We are here to love with no intervention

Stop the fight and stop the thoughts
Allow yourself to get lost
You’ll find your way, just as I’ve done
Make your own path. We are all one.

Want to submit your own piece of prose, poetry, or opinion to Her Voice!? Submit to KristieDemers@hercampus.com

Campus Correspondent and Founder of Her Campus NCSU - kristiedemers@hercampus.com Kristie Demers is a Senior English major at North Carolina State University. When she isn't studying or busy working on campus, Kristie enjoys running, writing, reading, photography, and painting. She volunteered as an athletic trainer for the Cheerleading team freshman year and developed an unwavering devotion for the Wolfpack. This Wisconsin natives passions include traveling, spending time with family and friends, and loving even the little things in life. Although she is down to earth and loves making people smile, Kristie is hard working and welcomes challenges. All that this happy-go-lucky girl dreams for the future is to write for a magazine and live at the beach. In the meantime, her heart lies in the bricks at N.C. State and beats with every chime of the Bell Tower!