This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

A few months from now I’ll officially have to say goodbye to you, my childhood. 

Farewell to the days of stressing over mobile games like Temple Run, Fruit Ninja, and Angry Birds. Even playing Wii games like Wii Sports and Mario Kart, with friends. The days of watching Arthur, iCarly, and Drake & Josh have seized. The fun times I had with classmates and childhood friends–the laughs, the tears, the bruises–are only just a memory. 

Life was so easy back then, there were no real worries. Guys only had crushes on girls based on how fast you could run. Girls wanted to be friends with other girls based on how nice they were. Guys and girls could be friends without others questioning their motives. No one cared about the clothes you wore or the way your body looked. We had the purest hearts, asking the most innocent questions with the purest intentions.

Unfortunately, ten-year-old me always wanted to grow up. I can’t wait till I’m older, mommy! I wouldn’t have to follow all these rules. Funny enough, I miss all the rules. The bedtimes, the curfews, the mandatory chores. But I wasn’t the only one who wanted to grow up, my friends did as well. We would envision how life would be for us 10 years into the future. We thought life would be a cruise–sleeping in all day, eating all the candy in the world, being your own boss. No one would have to tell us what to do anymore! 

As I reminiscence on the past, something clicks. Remember Stressed Out by Twenty One Pilots? I never knew the meaning behind the lyrics, “Wish we could turn back time to the good old days, when our momma sang us to sleep but now we’re stressed out.” But now I know what they meant; the good times of 2008 – 2016 are gone and we can never get it back.

I wish I had enjoyed you while you lasted. But thank you for giving me memories that will last forever. Goodbye.

Ony Otiocha is the Co-Senior Editor of Her Campus at North Carolina State University. She joined during her freshman year, making this her third year on Her Campus as a writer. Outside of Her Campus, Ony is a third year at North Carolina State University, studying Biological Sciences with a concentration in Human Biology and minoring in Forensic Science. She works at two different hospitals and volunteers at a local clinic--taking care of patients from all walks of life. Ony is also a staff photographer with NC State University Student Media, where she takes photographs of different news and sports events for outlets like Technician, Agromeck, and Nubian Message at NC State University. Ony was also a teaching assistant for biochemistry during the spring semester and will continue to do so for next semester. When she is not in class or working, Ony enjoys listening to music, painting, photography, and reading novels in her free time. She is a huge fan of books written by James Patterson, Karen Kingsbury, and Jodi Picoult. Ony also loves volunteering with children at her local church, which she has been doing for almost three years! She is passionate about not only creating safe spaces for children but also advocating on their behalf.
Junior at NCSU majoring in Communication Media Lover of strawberry ice cream and classic rock VP of Her Campus NCSU