Give and Take: How to Get a Guy to Do Things YOU Enjoy Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

There is always going to be that guy who likes taking you to a basketball game, but doesn’t like going to a Celine Dion concert with you.  Think of Matthew McConaughey as Benjamin Barry and Kate Hudson as Andie Anderson in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. Andie gets Benjamin to go a front row performance where you can feel the sweat.  As a New York Knicks fan,  he thinks he is going to be
watching a basketball game.  Instead, Andie tricks him into going to a Celine Dion concert.  Hopefully, you wouldn’t and shouldn’t have to trick a guy into going somewhere with you.

But how do you get a guy to go to an event or a place where he doesn’t want to go?

There are a lot of ways.  Some methods are kind of deceitful and some methods are a little bit more okay to use.  Tricking a guy is one way to go like Kate Hudson’s character does although it’s not really honest and I don’t approve of this option.  Being honest with a guy is the more moral way to go.  Another way is to force a guy to go with you although I don’t approve of this option either.  Hopefully, you won’t and you shouldn’t force someone to go with you somewhere. I believe the best way is to convince the guy to go with you.  The worst thing that could happen is that he will say no.  My opinion is that being honest is the best way in every situation especially when you’re dealing with people you care about. 

How do I feel about going somewhere that I have no interest in?

I think I prefer to not go unless its somebody that I know well and I can have fun with.  Whether it is my best friend or a girl I like, if I know that I enjoy being around them, I would go just to spend time with them. I would go with my best guy friend to a video game store since he likes video games, even though I don’t like video games that much.  I would go to a Celine Dion concert if a girl I really liked asked me to go.  

What does all this mean?

There has to be a guy that isn’t so concerned about what other people think of them for doing activities like dancing or cooking, especially if it is to be around a person they care about.  There are probably a few guys who don’t care what others think and they do what they love regardless of worthless and disapproving opinions.  They follow their passions.  I would just be honest with a guy and tell him that you really enjoy this activity.  Then, you could tell him that you really want him to come with you.  There will be guys who like doing some of your favorite activities.  You won’t have to convince these guys because they aren’t afraid and self-conscious about doing things that other people consider to be only for women.  Guys like I just described will be happy to go with you and will enjoy whatever activity that is planned whether its gymnastics, cooking, or going to a ballet recital.  If a guy really cares about you, he will go with you to anything and do anything (that isn’t interesting to him) because he likes spending time with you.

Campus Correspondent and Founder of Her Campus NCSU - kristiedemers@hercampus.com Kristie Demers is a Senior English major at North Carolina State University. When she isn't studying or busy working on campus, Kristie enjoys running, writing, reading, photography, and painting. She volunteered as an athletic trainer for the Cheerleading team freshman year and developed an unwavering devotion for the Wolfpack. This Wisconsin natives passions include traveling, spending time with family and friends, and loving even the little things in life. Although she is down to earth and loves making people smile, Kristie is hard working and welcomes challenges. All that this happy-go-lucky girl dreams for the future is to write for a magazine and live at the beach. In the meantime, her heart lies in the bricks at N.C. State and beats with every chime of the Bell Tower!