This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

The fall season is finally upon us and with the cool, crisp air, I am sure you are eager to have a night in with your friends, watch a movie and cuddle up with a cozy blanket. Most of us all love a good rom-com or a fun, feel-good movie. However, if you are like me and are constantly indecisive about what movie to watch, here is a list to choose from of a few fun, comedic and nostalgic 80s movies to get the night started. 

I love all things revolving around the decade of the 80s. The movies, fashion, and music just speak to me. When I was little, my parents introduced me to their favorite movies of the 80s, which have become my favorite ones as well. So, don’t know what to watch and want to share a few laughs with your friends? Look no further.

1. The Breakfast Club (1985)

The Breakfast Club is a 1985 cult classic by John Hughes, an influential movie director of that decade. The movie follows five high school students who have all been given detention on a Saturday morning. Each of the students fit different high school cliques/stereotypes: the athlete, the brain, the bully, the princess and the loner. As the movie progresses, you see each student begin to learn more about themselves as well as each other. It’s a touching, coming-of-age story that emphasizes the question of whether or not we should judge a book by its cover. 

P.S. You’ll end the night with “Don’t You Forget About Me” being the most recent song added to your playlists. It’s just too good. 

2. The Goonies (1985)

Another fan favorite, The Goonies, is an adventure-comedy that showcases what it means to have fun with friends. This film revolves around a group of close-knit friends who are working to try and save their homes from foreclosure and ultimately end up stumbling upon an old pirate map. The group sets out to find the long-lost treasure of One-Eyed Willy and in doing so, encounters many challenging and dangerous obstacles along the way all while realizing the true meaning of friendship and what it means to fight for what you believe in. When finished, it’ll make you want to go on a spontaneous adventure with your friends and value the friendships around you. 

3. Girls Just Want to Have Fun (1985)

A true movie for the girls, Girls Just Want to Have Fun, showcases all there is to being a teenage girl. The film follows Janey (Sarah Jessica Parker), a talented, goody two-shoes, gymnast who meets the carefree Lynne (Helen Hunt) upon moving to a new town. Lynne is able to get Janey to lighten up and begin making decisions for herself as she deals with boys, girl drama and strict parents. This movie, personally, is one of my favorites and truly captures the realm of girlhood. You’ll share some laughs and in the end, probably want to give your best friend a meaningful hug. 

$. Footloose (1984)

To be honest, if you haven’t seen the original Footloose, you’re missing out. Another cult classic; Footloose follows the story of Ren McCormack (Kevin Bacon), a high school student from Chicago who is new to the small town of Bomont. Ren has a passion for dancing and music and when he discovers the town of Bomont has banned dancing and rock music, Ren sets out to show everyone the joy and freedom of dance. Along the way, Ren finds true friendships and pursues rebellious and carefree, Ariel Moore (Lori Singer), the daughter of Reverend Shaw Moore (John Lithgow) who had a significant role in the banning of dance and music throughout the town. Footloose is a feel-good and somewhat emotional story that will hopefully have you up and dancing at the end. 

5. Sixteen Candles (1984)

Last but not least, Sixteen Candles is another iconic coming-of-age story by director John Hughes. Starring Molly Ringwald as Samantha Baker, she plays an awkward teenage girl who hopes to get the attention of the older, popular student, Jake Ryan played by Michael Schoeffling. The film follows Samantha and her navigating the ups and downs of adolescence, all while feeling overshadowed by her older sister’s upcoming wedding. Sixteen Candles will have you sympathizing with Samantha and is the perfect movie to watch with your girlfriends. 

Savannah Miles is a first-year student at NC State University. She is a writer for her campus and is responsible for creating and publishing articles. Throughout her time in high school, Savannah was a part of the National Honors Society, Student Council, Unified Club, and Smile Operation Club. She was able to have the opportunity to help out in her community by attending various volunteer events, and fundraisers and even had three part-time jobs over the course of three years. Savannah is a freshman at NC State and is majoring in Political Science. After college, she has hopes of going to law school and becoming an attorney. Savannah was born in Richmond, Virginia but since then has lived in North Carolina twice, Colorado, and almost Alaska! She has two younger sisters and a dog named Barnaby. In her free time, Savannah loves to listen to music, watch movies, go to the beach, read a good romance book, hang out with friends, and spend time with her family. She also has a passion for singing and is a huge fan of all things retro. Her favorite movies are Almost Famous, Forrest Gump, and Oppenheimer. Savannah believes that in another life she could be a famous movie director!